Building a built-in refrigerator

I want to build a built in refrigerator all in stainless on the inside and with the compressor situated outside the house.

Building the case, installing shelving and plumbing I would do myself and then have my AC man do the final hook up on the refrigeration. I'm looking for leads to compressors, doors, latches, stainless wire racking, temp controllers, fans etc. If there were anyone that has had any dealings with building a refrigerator and could post some link it would be appreciated.

Reply to
Al

Better check with an commercial refer man. I have seen and connected up lots of remote units for commercial kitchens. I know that there is an limit for the lines of an given size. I know that there are some height issues with the oil in the system. Not knowing your load or how you plan to do this I would only be guessing. You could have some issues if your installing an freezer as well. It might be better to consider an scratch and dent model and remove the compressor and install that in your custom cabinet. Or maybe pick up an used Sub Zero with the remote unit on top

Reply to
SQLit

Unless you are in a rather mild area, this may be a prbblem. Refrigeratin units are not always uited for very cold environments.

Check out suppliers of commercial units for your needs. Hussman and a few others specialize in walk in cooler equipment.

Reply to
RE Quick Transit

I better pass that info on to the company that did the refer on the new restaurant jobs we just did the HVAC for. The condensing units for all the refer are outside, on the roof, in North Dakota. Should be a cold enough enviroment! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Refrigeratin

He did say "not always". Some HVAC units are designed for extreme temperatures, others are not. It would be prudent to at least ask the question.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is Turtle.

If you build it yourself the cost of the refrigeration unit is going to be near buying a reach in refrigerator for stores. You can get a second hand two door refrigerator with condenser unit under or on top of the unit which can be taken out door and run the tubing and electric to it and work fine. these second hand refrigerator sell for about $500.00 and the refrigeration work would run you about 2 to 3 hundred dollars. These refrigerators are all stainless Steel inside and out. Building one is going to be a pain in the behind.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"This is Turtle. If you build it yourself the cost of the refrigeration unit is going to be near buying a reach in refrigerator for stores. You can get a second hand two door refrigerator with condenser unit under or on top of the unit which can be taken out door and run the tubing and electric to it and work fine. these second hand refrigerator sell for about $500.00 and the refrigeration work would run you about 2 to 3 hundred dollars. These refrigerators are all stainless Steel inside and out. Building one is going to be a pain in the behind.

Do you know of a brand, or model? I know what you mean, but I am not sure where I would buy one and what would be easy to remove the compressor. The outdoor unit (compressor) will not be in use during cold weather. The project is for a seasonal cottage. No damage will be done to the compressor, and fan by just leaving it in the cold (covered), i would assume.

Reply to
Al

Hi Greg, hope you are having a nice day

On 31-Oct-04 At About 00:30:34, Greg O wrote to All Subject: Re: Building a built-in refrigerator

GO> From: "Greg O"

GO> I better pass that info on to the company that did the refer on the GO> new restaurant jobs we just did the HVAC for. The condensing units GO> for all the refer are outside, on the roof, in North Dakota. Should GO> be a cold enough enviroment! Greg

You are correct Greg but in all fairness you need to add the cold ambient controls for any a/c or refrigeration unit to run in cold weather.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2