Bath Tub Surround

Yesterday I tried to clean the mildew from the caulking around my bath tub. Since it would not clean, I removed it. The more I tried to clean behind it, the more I realized that the problem with pretty bad, so I removed the plastic surround from the tub. The sheetrock behind the surround had been wet and was molded and deteriorated. Both the sheetrock and the surround have to be replaced.

The surround I removed was plastic with foam backing made to look like tiles. I'm debating whether to use tile or ceramic as a replacement. Unfortunately, I am not qualified to do the tile job myself, and the ceramic is rather expensive. I think I prefer the ceramic. What are the considerations for each?

Reply to
mcp6453

number one PRO for tiling, is the surrounds look cheap!

Reply to
rosie readandpost

might visit a cultured marble shop. they pour up marble sheet in most any color(s), affix them to the walls, and No Grout to clean ;) It is not labor intensive to block up and pour custom dimensions into stock molds and then it really installs quick - made to fit perfect! Price is really quite reasonable around here as there's several shops doing it.

Reply to
bumtracks

This lady can show you more than you would ever want to know about bathtubs:

Oscar_Lives