Q.: Installing tub surround OVER 1" ceramic tile...

A friend wants to install a tub surround over what I think are 1" ceramic tiles. :-o. The bad question of the day is: will standard tub surround adhesive "stick" to the ceramic tile and hold the surround in place? Or should something a little more aggressive be used? (e.g., something that's applied with a 1/4" trowel).

TIA! Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

I applied a tub surround over tile for my Mom a few years back to combat a leaky wall situation. It was easier (and cheaper) than tearing out the

35 year old tile and redoing it, and it lasted her the rest of her life. I used the standard adhesive.
Reply to
Dennis Turner

Thanks for the reply Dennis--I just saw the bathroom today. Looks like the surround is meant to combat a "hole-in-the-wall" situation. :-o. A little greenboard, the surround and nobody *should* know the difference.

Reply to
Darryl