GE washer transmission replacement----suspension

G'day,

Seal should already come with a lube put in the grooves when the seal is packaged with the tranny.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Okay, and do I put grease inside the grooves in the rubber seal? I want to make sure that the seal doesn't fail again, since as you taught me that led to the transmission's failure.

Reply to
Matt

That simplifies things.

The instructions I have seen for tranny replacement do not mention that you need to lube the trans shaft and the tub's sleeve bearing. And I don't think the trans kit or the new sleeve bearing come with lube. Maybe the sleeve bearing is sintered and doesn't need lube? I'm happy to use white grease as you suggest, but I wonder why none of the instructions mention lubing the sleeve bearing.

Reply to
Matt

The bearing is oil impregnated when made. Your choice if you want to add to that or not.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Now it occurs to me that maybe there isn't much of a load on the bearing and maybe it doesn't matter whether it is lubed or not.

Reply to
Matt

Looks like the way to handle this is to replace the tub seal and maybe the brake ring a month before the warranty expires. If at that time the seal is leaking or the spin bearing is rusty or wet, have them replace both the seal and the tranny under warranty. If I know GE quality, the new seal will last close to six years. :-)

Reply to
Matt

Hi,

Part with the small ridges inside goes up....will see 3 small tabs ( approx 1/4" wide by 1/2" long ) on the top part of the seal = upside ( towards top of the washer ).

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Dumb question:

I'm not sure which side of the seal goes up toward the water.

I believe that the sharp edges of the seal's lips point toward the water side, and the side with the stainless steel "waist" spring goes on the dry side.

Is that right?

Reply to
Matt

G'day,

They don't.

None.

Us too, we install the seal first and then put the tranny in.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks again.

The seal-holding part of my tub has three corresponding tabs that seem to be intended to keep the seal from coming out. Those tabs aren't mentioned in the instructions I've seen. How important is it to line up the tabs on the seal holder with the rubber lugs on the seal?

Also: Should the tranny shaft be inserted in the tub bearing and seal before or after pressing the seal in? Seems like it would be easier to press the seal in first, then push the shaft through the seal.

Reply to
Matt