GE Oven Glowbar igniter question

I just replaced the igniter and it's lighting. Oven works fine.

I watched it as it went through the cycle and I noticed while the gas is on the igniter is on. When the gas goes off the igniter goes off.

Is this correct?

TIA

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

Hi, Comparing to a furnace ignitor's job is only igniting the gas. Once gas is ignited ignitor goes off.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Everything I've seen on the net suggests it stays on while it's burning. No wonder they burn out.

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

On the ones I've dealt with, the igniter is in series with the valve coil, so it's failsafe -- if the igniter fails the valve won't open.

Reply to
cjt

That does not make sense. Why ignitor has tp be kept on once gas ignite? No wonder it does not last. Wonder how many ignitors the oven will need in it's life span. Furnace has a flame sensor to watch flame. Very weird design.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A gas furnace with such an igniter has a draft inducer fan that will blow any unburned gas out the flue. I assume since the oven in a home kitchen has no such power vent, the designers err on the side of caution and want no unburned gas to escape into a kitchen.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I just had the ignitor on my GE gas oven replaced, and the service guy confirmed this is how they work. My ignitor failed while the gas was running, and in consequence the gas valve shut down. He said they have an average lifespan of 6-7 years. Mine lasted 13 years, so I ain't complaining.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Thanks. I never really checked to see if that was how they worked. Seemed strange to me too, but TDD's explanation seems to make sense.

I bought 2 igniters in case the 1st one was a dud.

I got them on eBay for a 4th of what the local supplier wanted. :-)

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

I have only replaced one of those, and I honestly don't remember if it stayed on as described or not. A friend had a rental property that she was finally unloading, and she thought the stove in it was better than the one in her house, so I helped them swap stoves. (personally I would have rather had the one originally in her house). Anyway, after getting it installed in the house, the oven wouldn't work-- bad ignitor. I guess in moving it, we jarred it enough to break it. I replaced it and seem to recall the new one was about $25-30. I do know that the gas valve will not open until the ignitor is on and glowing, and the instructions with the new ignitor specified that amperage of the new one must match the amps of the original for it to work. Personally, I like-- and have-- a gas cooktop and electric ovens. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

I replaced a GE ignitor, today. $56.50 for the part. Plus trip charge and labor, of course.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

$19.95 + $5.00 Shipping. He got it to me in 3 days. I'm impressed.

An appliance repair guy quoted me $160.00 (parts and labor) over the phone

This is the guy that I got it from if anyone is interested:

Jim

Reply to
Master Betty

I got more than that, for parts and labor and all. Glad to know I'm in the ball park. Thanks for the link, I'll go look. May buy one for the next repair.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OH YOU UNMITIGATED THIEF! HOW COULD YOU CHARGE SO MUCH?!! Don't you know you're supposed to give your services away?

*snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And Sears charged me $100 for the part and $130 for the service call. It's true they charge more.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I worked for Sears, in 1996. I had thier price book for a while, wish I'd taken it out and copied it. The cheapest no-heat call was $130 in 1996 dollars. "Educate customer". I'm sure that 13 years later, I could charge 1996 Sears prices, and make a handsome living.

Thanks for the field report. I'd sure like it, if people would post prices, here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The license fee went up by about 50% or so. I don't remember the numbers, but in NYS the fee is perhaps one and a half or maybe more. That's hardly "no inflation". Referring to a person you've not met (nor I, actually) as snivelling and boasting. That's totally absurd to try to be such a mind reader. Your credibility went way down.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'll note in passing that while the government inflation numbers say inflation is low or zilch, their numbers are based on a rather archaic 'market basket' of goods, that has little to do with what a lot of us actually buy. Yes, my energy costs are a lot lower than they were a year ago, but (for me at least), almost all the other things I buy are up anywhere from a little to a lot. My health insurance increase for calendar year 2010 will likely more than wipe out the cost of living increase I am getting. I am fortunate that I have a decent cashflow, and won't be against the wall like a lot of people are, but it will affect how likely I am to buy toys, and (to bring it on topic for this group), it reduces the odds I will do anything other than necessary PM and repairs to this house. The new deck, redone bathroom, new countertops and kitchen floor, etc, may end up waiting for the next owner, because in the current market I would get little or no return at resale from spending the money. (I'm a guy, and live alone, so my standards are low. If there was a SWMBO in the house, the criteria would obviously be different.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers