GE "BAD LINE" Error Message (2023 Update)

As my wife was preparing dinner a short while ago, she encountered a loud beep and a scrolling "BAD LINE" message on our new GE electric stove. According to the GE web site (their Answer Center is not open), the problem is caused by faulty wiring. The outlet is the same one we use for the prior stove, and this stove has worked well for several months.

Resetting the breaker cleared the problem, but now I'm wondering if something else could be wrong. If there is a problem with this stove, I'd like to learn about it before the warranty period expires. I already have a bad taste in my mouth because of the GE dishwasher we bought at the same time. The way they save energy is they don't wash the dishes. That's another story.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
mcp6453

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with your new GE electric stove and are looking for advice on how to troubleshoot the problem. The "BAD LINE" error message can indicate a problem with the stove's wiring, as the GE website suggests. However, it's possible that there may be other causes for this error message.

Here are a few things you can do as a DIY homeowner to troubleshoot the problem:

  1. Check the outlet: Make sure the outlet you're using for the stove is working properly. Test it with another appliance to see if it's providing power.
  2. Check the wiring: Inspect the stove's wiring to make sure it's securely connected and not damaged.
  3. Check the breaker: Make sure the breaker for the stove is not tripped and that it's functioning properly.
  4. Check the stove's manual: Consult the stove's manual for additional troubleshooting steps or error codes.
  5. Contact GE: If you're still unable to resolve the issue, contact GE customer service for further assistance.

It's important to keep in mind that electrical issues can be dangerous and it's recommended to contact a professional electrician if you're not comfortable with handling it yourself. Also, if you have an issue with your dishwasher as well, it's best to contact customer service as soon as possible to address the problem before the warranty period expires.

There are several ways to contact GE customer support for assistance with a GE stove-related question.

  1. Phone: You can call the GE Appliances Customer Service hotline at 1-800-432-2737. The customer service team is available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST and on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST.
  2. Online: You can visit the GE Appliances website and submit a support request through the "Contact Us" page. You can also chat with a live customer service representative through the website during business hours.
  3. Email: You can email GE Appliances customer service at GEAppliances.com/service_and_support/contact.
  4. Social Media: You can reach out to GE Appliances on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

It's important to have your stove's model number, serial number, and purchase date ready when you contact customer service, as this information will be required to assist with your inquiry.

There are several other error codes that can appear on GE stoves, each indicating a specific problem. Here are some common error codes that may appear on GE stoves, along with a brief explanation of what they mean:

  • F0: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's electronic oven control (EOC) or keypad.
  • F1: This error code indicates a problem with the EOC or touchpad.
  • F2: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's oven temperature sensor.
  • F3: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's temperature sensing circuit.
  • F4: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's door lock mechanism.
  • F5: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's touchpad or keypad.
  • F7: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's touchpad or keypad.
  • F8: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's central control unit (CCU).
  • F9: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's range control unit (RCU).
  • F10: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's electronic oven control (EOC) or keypad.
  • F11: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's central control unit (CCU).
  • F12: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's central control unit (CCU).
  • F13: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's central control unit (CCU) or keypad.
  • F15: This error code indicates a problem with the stove's central control unit (CCU) or keypad.

Keep in mind that these codes can vary depending on the specific model of GE stove you have and the manufacturer may have different codes that not listed here. It's important to consult your stove's manual or contact GE customer service for specific troubleshooting information and instructions.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

It could be a problem with the stove, but it could also be an indication of an electrical problem such as a loose connection which could be anywhere between the power terminals in the stove where the stove cord connects, the receptacle, on back to the breaker in the panel. If it were my stove, the first thing I would do is turn off the breaker and tighten all of those connections and note if any were loose and/or showed discoloration from heating.

Reply to
Pete C.

It could lots of things. It could even be your power company dropped a leg temporarily.

When (if) it happens again, measure the voltage at the outlet. That might provide a clue.

As for the dishwasher, turn the "Power Saver" switch to off.

Reply to
HeyBub

It could have been a glitch in your incoming power if all electrical connections are good. The problem with all these newfangled computer controlled appliances is the same problem that a computer could have because of dirty power. I'm talking about voltage spikes, surges and blinks. I know a fellow who had a problem with a microprocessor controlled cloths dryer because of a voltage sag every time a pump motor kicked on. If you keep having problems after eliminating bad electrical connections as a cause, you may ask your power company if they could/would setup a power monitor for you. The electrical power disruption could come from a transformer blocks away from your home.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

my ge range did the same tonight while cooking dinner... less than 1 year old....reset the breaker fixed it but still worries me...

Reply to
kimberley ward

Maybe you had a power bump or brown outs being in dinner time (peak demand period)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

kimberley ward posted for all of us...

There was probably some kind of power blip the stove registered. Maybe the heat or some other large was cycling at the time. It would probably take a long and arduous investigation to find out. GE may have set point or s/w fault set too low. I don't think they would admit to it. Call them anyway. Isn't the thought of Internet connect appliances appealing? They are monitoring your stove and get a fault-but do nothing about it. HA.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Thank you this was very helpful as I have had a similar experience and from reading your comment helped me to fix the problem temporarily I am sure!

Reply to
Cynthia J Faulkner

replying to Pete C., Josephine Rodrigues wrote: There has to be something wrong with stoves, my management company just replaced mine and it was only 2 years old. Everyone can't be having electrical problems, that's ridiculous.**

Reply to
Josephine Rodrigues

replying to mcp6453, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: It can because of cockroaches on the circuit board

Reply to
avejoat

Another wonderful appliance where the designers put in micro controllers and have no idea what they are doing. These things, especially refrigerators, should be designed to be completely fault tolerant and should be able to recover from power glitches, outages, etc. I bought a Whirlpool fridge that would just stop and lock out from a power glitch. When is locked out while on vacation, spoiling all the food, I got WP to "buy it back". I purchased a Samsung, only to find out it did the same thing. Then I found out, the WP was actually made by Samsung. I've now put a temp sensor that reports to the cloud and sends me an email if it goes beyond my set limits. I also purchased an automatic timer device that will shut the fridge down for a set amount of time when the power goes outside the set limits. This negates the need for the temp device. Samsung should have built something like this in their box, but Nooooo.

Reply to
Art Todesco
<snip useless diatribe from home moaners hub>

GE appliances aren't made by GE. GE doesn't even own the brand anymore; they sold to Electrolux in 2014, but blocked by DoJ. In 2016, the brand was sold to Haier, based in Qingdao China.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Oh no, I hope someone doesn't tell me that my Westinghouse 50" TV isn't made by Westinghouse...

ROFL

Reply to
trader_4

No, George Westinghouse left the business to his children and his grandchildren and they are actively involved. One of the grandsons probably assembled and tested your TV and he pushed it down the line where a cousin packed it for shipment. Yep, every TV is checked by a family member before it goes out the door.

Good to know you support a family business even though some married a Chinese girl and they have family involved now too. Maybe a few of them are assembled by the Chinese in-laws.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thank you. That's what I thought, Ed! BTW, it works great so far. Got that 50" sucker for $250 at Target. Don;t want to tell you how many times more than that I paid for a smaller Sony HDTV. The Sony lasted just a few years, I diagnosed the problem. They have a bunch of ribbon cables that go from the boards to the top of the panel. One of them was coming loose. If you pushed it just right, perfect picture, otherwise it was an ugly mess. Googling, lots of other people had the same problem, Sony had a deal where they would give you like $300 credit to another Sony. Sure, screw that. This W has a perfectly fine pic, maybe, just maybe, the Sony might have a little better pic, but is it worth 10x the price when they fail? Ooops, I just told you how much I paid for that POS Sony,

Reply to
trader_4

replying to mcp6453, mark wrote: This just happened to me after an hour power outage. Based on other answers to your question, I flipped the circuit breaker on/off and no change. So I flipped it off for a couple minutes, then back on. The error message went away. This worked for me.

Reply to
mark

how can check to see if roach on circuit board every thing else checks ok

Reply to
Donna

Had one or two power surges last night and then a black out for about an hour then my monogram oven started saying bad line it will not reset what do I do

Reply to
Ronnie

Call a repair guy. Probably blew a board or components. You can get whole house surge protection to prevent that. I live in a high lightning area so I have it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We are having the same problem today (November 2021). Resetting the circuit breaker temporarily solves the problem, then it occurs again. GE replaced the circuit board in the stove, but the problem is recurring. This stove is a bad design PERIOD! If you had the problem 10 years ago, and it is occurring today, that indicates that GE does not care. This is the last GE appliance I will ever buy.

Reply to
George Burdell