garage lighting

Hi there,

I have almost finished building a new garage, 14'x24'. There are no windows. I plan on having a workshop bench set up at one end. Any tips on how many fluorescent overhead lights I should install? I was thinking about

3 sets, going down the middle of the garage.

thanks

Reply to
Sluggo

One suggestion is to add a motion sensor with a floodlight in one corner - it would turn on when it detects motion - real handy when you walk into the garage with your arms full of stuff.

I'd also have 3-way light switches (so you can turn on the flourescents at the overhead door - and turn them off if you leave via the regular door at the other end of the garage.

Perhaps you will want some lights directly over the workbench?

I'd put at least 2 over where the bench will be, so you aren't working in your own shadow half the time. And unless garage will have a furnace, make sure to get cold-rated fixtures and lamps, or it will be a long dark winter. Don't forget to put in more power outlets than you think you will need, and put them in places where the bench and storage shelves won't block access.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

My garage is 16 x24 and I have 3 shop lights (2 bulbs each). That is plenty of light. I have two on the work side and

1 on the storage/car park side. My ceiling/walls and pegboard are white. I get no shadows, so it is easy to work in there. I also have no windows.
Reply to
ROBMURR

Slugo:

S > I have almost finished building a new garage, 14'x24'. There are no S > windows. I plan on having a workshop bench set up at one end. Any tips on S > how many fluorescent overhead lights I should install? I was thinking abou

S > 3 sets, going down the middle of the garage.

Also note the orientation of your fixtures. Fluorescents light from side-to-side.

  • "OOPS!" -- not just for klutzes anymore.
Reply to
barry martin