Metal framed interior doors remove how?

My daughter has just bought an older home with interior doors that are metal framed (casing and jamb appears to be one piece). My best guess is that these were installed in three pieces since the wallboard goes behind them and on one of the closet door I think I can see a joint between the top jamb and side jamb. What I can't figure out is how they are attached. There must be some screws securing them to the studding that has been filled over. I am guessing it is on the jamb part. Before we take the sawsall and start sawing I would like a little more information. Any have any experience with these?

Thanks in advance for your time to reply.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Usually there are screws on top of the casing (vertically down) holding the side jambs to the top. There should be screws through the jambs into the studs (painted over). Most of the hinge screws are probably machine screws holding the hinges to the jamb, but some may be wood screws to the studs. Most likely there are aligning metal tabs between the top and side jambs.

Once you take the door off, disconnect the jambs and unscrew them from the joists pull the bottoms of the side jambs into the door opening. They should slide out. The top jamb should now slide down.

EJ

Reply to
EJ