Garage Door Sprng Snapped....How to repair?

Page 3 of 5
Crusader george writes:

That was indeed the case up until the innovation of self-serve gas in the 1970s due to price shock in the energy crisis.
Back then you needed a pro, er, 17-year-old boy working for minimum wage to pump gas safely.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Unfortunately, "Fools rush in where angels dare to tread."
Too bad Darwinism has been corrupted by several generations of liberals who believe that nobody should be responsible fow what they do to themselves and have decreed that the rest of us should chip in to rescue them from their own messes. That means we have to pay for many years of maintainance for some brain injured clod who refused to observe a motorcycle helmet law.
(End of rant...)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
HVF wrote:

We think it's an easy job, because it is. If you read the thread, the OP has stated several times that he has the extension type of spring, not the torsion type. That was quite clear from the very first post. As to what is dangerous, that is up to the skills and knowledge of the individual. There are lots of people that shouldn't work on electricity, but I rarely see such hysteria directed toward them.
Its an extension spring, not a torsion spring.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Doug Miller ( snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com) writes:

I wasn't aware the pros are born with this knowledge. Didn't they have to "ask how to do it?" Is this not simply a learned technique, versus an inherently death-defying trade? Does this require special tools, versus stuff that you can find in a hardware store? If you don't know, you oughtn't be concluding whether or not someone can do it.
Hard to trust those who are gullible enough to believe that obscuring email addresses reduces spam. One little slip, and ...

Doing a garage spring isn't rocket surgery. One can do it with a couple of tools and a couple of pieces of rebar.
Just as using an axe is not a complicated thing, until you learn, the potential for serious injury due to slip ups and inexperience are high.
It's not something to learn on. It's something to have a pro come and do. Fingers are worth more than the Franklin an experienced workman would charge to change one. A guy who changes ten a week will know how to do it.
Yes, the average Joe could learn to do it, but changing one now, then fifteen years from now when it fails does not build experience very fast.
And an inexperienced person messing with a bag of snakes like a broken garage door spring is just plain dumb. Ignorant is never having been told how to do something. Dumb is doing something you don't know how to do, and not heeding the cautions.
Steve

With that type of logic, we never would have evolved from the trees to the savannahs... Real men look at a problem and then figure out how to solve it... Quiche eaters call the 'experts'...
Grumman-581 wrote:

Thank You! But do include real women. I learned to replace a spring a few months ago. And it had broken about 3" from the end. Liz

Oh, we evolved. It is just that there are branches on the family trees. Some modern people do thing like "call experts". Others do bright things like leave their children in hot cars. It's not always the best thing to be a "real man."
The trouble with stupid people is that they are really fertile.
Steve
Steve B writes:

And it's not worth your life to drive to work today. Stay home.

Fuck off and die, Richard. Do whatever your shallow gene pool brain tells you.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Real nice. Maybe the reason you can't fix a garage door safely is because you have an anger management problem.

Oh, I can fix them. I just choose to pay someone else to do it. How can I be angry about being able to do that? I have done things like pulling a V8 engine and rebuilding it; contracting my own house; remodeling several income properties; contracting government projects; yada yada yada.
But there are some things that I just won't mess with because they aren't worth it.
Garage doors are one of those. A call by a good garage door repairman will diagnose and fix things that the average DIYer wouldn't even see.
But, if you can't afford a service call by a professional, by all means, DIY.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

So because some of us choose to do a simple garage door spring repair means we can't afford a pro? Yet you obviously think that doesn't apply to you pulling and rebuilding an engine? Which of those repairs is more within the scope of what an average homeowner has the skill, equipment, and tools to handle? Geez!
Incredible how some people think and rationalize foolish things in their minds.
On 9 May 2006 09:31:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Hmmm... Let's see... Can you pull and rebuild an engine with just an adjustable end wrench and two short pieces of steel rod / rebar? I don't know about you, but I'm not *that* good... Although I've never had a garage door with extension springs, I have no doubt that I could figure out how to change them... Hell, I figured out how to change my first set of torsion springs many years ago and even managed to still have all my body parts attached... It's not rocket science...
AMEN brother! And as for a professional finding thing the homeowner won't even see????? MY garage doors only have about 5 different pieces. What's NOT to see????
--
Steve Barker

"Grumman-581" < snipped-for-privacy@DIE-SPAMMER-SCUM-gmail.com> wrote in message

Yah. And incredible how some of us miss the obvious. Like extension spring vs. torsion spring.
My comments on torsion springs stand. My comments on torsion springs when the actual conversation was about extension springs are retracted.
It's a simple thing.
I made a mistake.
Steve
Doug Miller wrote:

Apparently you can't or won't read. The OP has made it clear several times now that he has extension type springs, so stop the hysteria.

Apparently you can't follow a thread -- the OP made that clear _farther_down_ in the thread, not before I posted this. I agree now that it is clear he has extension springs, not torsion springs -- but I still stand by the comment that if he has to ask how to do it, it probably isn't a job for him.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I can read and follow a post. The OP said that he has a single bay garage door and one spring that was 1 1/2 in diameter snapped. It's was clear to anyone with knowledge of garage doors that this is an extension spring, because torsion springs are bigger in diameter.