Garage Door Sprng Snapped....How to repair?

And it was already explained how easy it was to overcome that "problem". Are you really this dense, or do you just like to always be the loud contrarian at any cost?

Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas

Reply to
Mys Terry

Only for those with severely limited vision and knowledge. But then, I've noticed for a long time that you see everything in black & white and you are not a very creative thinker.

Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas

Reply to
Mys Terry

I cast pearls; you are the swine.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

See that? You still can't come up with anything original.

Tell us again about how all petrochemicals are really the same thing as each other (some are thicker and some are thinner) and it's perfectly safe to drink them.

Terry & Skipper, Clearlake Texas

Reply to
Mys Terry

If it is torsion spring system (a rod) runs through the spring) and you have to ask, PLEASE call a pro to do the job. I know how to do it and I still call a pro. I have seen too many serious injuries to even think about DIY on this one. I do about everything else I need except roofing.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Its not a torsion spring, its an extension spring set, which is obvious to anyone who read the original post and noted the dimensions given.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Well Jim I am too damn lazy to go out to the garage and measure mine but I think my torsion spring with a rod through it is at least 36" long and I know it is at least 1.5" because the rod is close to 1" and there is a lot of space around it.

Have one of us confused our terms? I may be mistaken but I thought that torsion springs went through a rod and were twisted tighter and looser to raise and lower the door. Extension springs generally follow the track at the side or top and are stretched to provide the lift.

Reply to
Colbyt

The original poster has stated several times that it is an extension spring including saying that it was parallel to the rails.

Reply to
Rich256

Jeff wrote: "I just counted the coils on one of the new pair of 150 pound springs I installed on one of my 7 foot single width garage doors last week. There's 145 active turns in it. Using one turn to make a new loop removes less than 0.7% of the active turns which is about 3/4" when fully extended, not the 3 or 4 inches you mentioned, and I won't believe the designers left that little safety margin there." ____________________________________ Re; For what it's worth: According to the cardboard sleeve on the 100lb,

26", springs I purchased, the maximum extension is 44 inches and the manufacturer warns against exceeding that extension for safety reasons. It takes about 42 inches of extension to service a 7 ft. door; that leaves just two inches of margin.

Dan Akers

Reply to
D. Akers

Then I will apologize now. I did not see those posts. I only saw a couple of replies.

My normally very dependable news provider has used up all their downtown for the next 5 years.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt