Garage door overhead lights not working

Hi, The light bulbs in the unit of my overhead garage door unit aren't functioning. I have replaced the bulbs, and when I press the 'light' switch on the wall control I hear a loud 'click' from the ceiling unit, but, alas, no light.
Any thoughts on what the problem might be here?
Thanks Steven
Steve wrote:

Bad relay?
It is a Chamberlian Liftmaster Professional 1/2 hp with the orange/red learn button.
Check for a loose wire going from the circuit board to the light socket.
If it's not obvious the best way to tell is w/ a volt meter on what is wrong.
Sounds like the light relay is pulling in (the loud click) so the points on the relay could be dirty. With a volt meter you can measure if there is 110 vac coming out of the circuit board to the light socket wires. If you can't measure any voltage or low voltage it's most likely the relay contacts.
If there is voltage coming out of the board check for voltage at the light socket where the wires connect. If there isn't voltage the wire is bad or there is a loose connection in the harness to the board.
If there is voltage the problem is in the socket(s). You may need to clean the contact point (w/ unit unplugged of course) or bend the tab upward slightly to make better contact w/ bulb. If they still don't work replace the socket(s).
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
I determined there was voltage going as far as both sockets, but no further. After getting in the sockets(unplugged), bending up the tabs, and scrubbing of a bit of grit in one of them, the problem is resolved.
Thanks for the great tips.
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

Steve what model is the opener? Need that to help Best Regards Anthony
................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_appfaqb.html#APPFAQB_007
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.repair/search?group=alt.home.repair&q=Garage+door+overhead+lights+not+working&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group
I had a customer a few months ago tell me about a similar problem with their Genie garage door opener. Their lights would never go out. I told them to contact Genie. They did and got a free replacement garage door opener for a unit that was five years old.

the light socket or maybe the side contacts. Also check for corroded terminals inside of opener. sounds like the relay is working. let us know if this helped Best Regards Anthony
................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
On Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 10:40:11 PM UTC-5, Steve wrote:

bent the contacts outward and now mine works fine, thanks to all that posted on this