garage door opener quit

live and learn... my outside wall unit quit working, and so did my remote... i replaced all the batteries thinking that was the problem, but it still wouldn't work... i called a few friends who i thought were handy, but they couldn't figure it out either.. i ended up calling Sears, they have a $69 service fee, i said ok... come to find out, when you replace the batteries, you have to reprogram! that's all it was!! the guy charged me $119 for like a 10 min service call... man was i ticked (and embarrassed lol)... that was one expensive lesson.

Reply to
WHoME?

did you ask him how he got a $119 charge from a $69 service charge???

Reply to
dbird

oh yeah, his response was that he "showed" me how to reprogram etc.. one thing i didn't care for was that it wasn't a Sears van, it was an independant company. so all that means is that they charge even more.

Reply to
WHoME?

Been there, done that! Those lessons you never forget. I just hope I learn all my lessons before I run out of cash. Thanks for sharing your experience. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Sorry but you don't normally have to reprogram the transmitters when changing batteries. Sounds like your opener went into "lock out" mode (LED light on inside wall button or wall panel flashes constantly) before you changed the batteries & changing the batteries had no effect on anything.

If you have a single door bell type button you have to reprogram the transmitters & keypad to get them to work. If you have a wall panel you push & hold the lock (padlock symbol) button for approx 6 seconds until the LED quits flashing.

Doordoc

Doordoc

Yeah, they're from Sears.

Someone had given me a kind of nice, if used, couch. White cloth. I gave it to a friend and his wife a year later (too big for new place). It needed a cleaning, sears has some deal "We'll come clean your couch, only $$".

They went for it. Guys shows up with basically a wet/dry vac and does an outstandingly mediocre job on it. And through it keeps saying, you know, with the right stuff, I could *REALLY* clean this.

Gee. Sears, didn't say "We'll come do a half assed job with the wrong equipment for $$!"

My non-sears remotes died, got new batteries, worked.

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes

The "lesson" is to keep and READ the documentation when an appliance goes wrong. It's very likely not doing that which cost you the money.

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet