garage door conversion

I currently have a detached garage with two-garage door. I was wondering what it would take to convert from a two-door system to a single larger door. Has anyone ever attempted that? Just wonder what it would entail.
Subject: garage door conversion Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Say_what <= wrote:

I've done it for clients. What you do is put a 17' door in there instead or a standard 16'. You'll need to reinforce the header. The easiest way is to lag a 1/2 thick , 17' wide 12' high, steel beam across the existing headers.
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Depends on the structure. If the center post is supporting, you'd have to do something to take the load. With enough time and money, it can be done. Whether or not it is practical, is another story. Talk to someone that can determine the structural viability.

====================================As others have said its all about weight support....I converted the other direction from an 18 foot door down to a pair or 8 1/2 doors....
That made installing a lift in my one garage doable...since I could have a car up on he lift with a door open... have since installed roll up doors like those seen on loading docks ...
At one time I did have a fiberglass 18 foot door on that garage and high winds could (and did) suck it out more then once...The fiberglass was just too light...when replaced with a normal wood door I had no problems...now I have 2 roll up doors out there however..
Bob Griffiths
Say_what wrote:

Depending upon the span of the opening it will simply entail removing the center post and installing an adequate lintel that would be approved by your local building officials. Then installing the appropriate door.
Rich http://www.garage-door-hardware.com