Garage door chime or buzzer

I'm looking at getting some type of device or alarm or something that when a garage door is opened it makes a sound inside the house to notify whoever is inside that someone has opened the garage. We don't have an alarm system. In short our garage doors are really quiet and we can't hear if anyone opens them and comes in. Has anyone ever heard of a device, be it electrical or cellular that can make a noise or a chime or ring inside the house when the garage door is activated ? If so, where and how much ? Thanks.

Reply to
car crash

car crash wrote in news:c506023d-1515-463f-ae61- snipped-for-privacy@c30g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Check at Radio Shack. They have buzzers for when a door opens.

Reply to
Lisa BB.

Who, but authorized people could/would be opening the door??

Steve Barker

Try this one:

I only checked one, but I believe they have other models and other sources should have some of the same or similar products.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Maybe an X10 motion detector in the garage with an X10 alarm in the house...

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

My parents house, the garage door opener turns on a light. Dad put a power tap in. Ran a cord off the light socket, and put a light inside the house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A tap off of the light would power something for about 4 minutes at my house, which might not be enough for the OP to notice that it was on. Any type of buzzer would be pretty annoying if it stay on the entire time the door was open - at least at my house where the door might be open for hours.

I think the middle ground would be a tap off the motor power that sounded a buzzer while the door was in motion. Couple that with a light that stayed on constantly while the door was open and you'd have the best off both worlds.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You really are an innocent, aren't you?

Standard form of theft in most all big cities and ritzy suburbs.

Thieves with transmitters that march up and down the frequency and code combinations and look for one that opens.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

you're really paranoid aren't you?

with rolling codes, this is all but impossible now.

Reply to
Steve Barker

You're really assuming a lot, aren't you?

We haven't all upgraded to rolling code units, making it still very possible.

Reply to
DerbyDad03