Fuse block stuck

I live in a 32 year old house with a fuse box with 3 "main" fuse blocks, each containing two 350a cartridge fuses. After a recent lightning storm, the insulation on the wires running from 2 of these blocks has a short length slightly swollen and blackened, but not melted off at all. I could just snip off a couple inches of the wire and restrip it, but I can't shut off power to them because one of the fuse blocks will not come out. I have yanked fairly hard on it, but it only moves 2-3 cm. I can wiggle it sideways a bit, so it isn't absolutely welded in there. I don't remember when I had this block out before, so I can't say for certain the condition was caused by lightning. The stuck block feeds two 10/3 round cables, with the two red leads attached to the screw on one side, and the two black on the other side. The lightning also caused shorts in 3 of the plug fuse circuits, and I'm not sure if they run off the stuck fuse block, or not. I don't have a main shut-off lever; I might have to pull the meter, or get the utility company out. I would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.
350a!!!! Our current old house has only 60a fuses.
-=- Alan
On 10/31/03 11:14 am ligera put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

<< I would appreciate any advice on this. >>
Better get a qualified electrician to do your repairs. Since it is related to a lightning strike, file a claim for payment with your insurance company. Lighning strikes can cause all manner of hidden damage to household electric systems, so survey for other problems. It also appears that you have a system that fails to meet current safety and code standards so an upgrade would be a simple common sense improvement. Good luck.
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ligera) wrote in message

CORRECTION: I meant to say the block will only come out 2-3 MILLIMETERS.