Junction Box with Fuse

Hi all

I am looking at fluorescent under cabinet lighting and have laid on fixed cable to 3 lighting pointes controlled from a single wall switch. This is all fed from the CU supply covered by 6A breaker.

The fluorescent fittings I have seen all specify a supply fused at 3A.

So I either need to fit a central fuse covering all 3 feeds somewhere, or supply a fuse under each cabinet.

As I will need a junction box under the cabinets anyway to connect flex to fixed wiring I thought maybe someone had done this before and therefore tried to source a juction box with a line fuse incorporated.

Had no luck so far so does anyone know a source for this item please?

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

What's wrong with a fused connection unit/flex outlet? sounds like it would be ideal for this application?

Reply to
John Rumm

"John Rumm" wrote

Hi John

I was looking for something unobtrusive that would (hopefully) clip to the underside of the wall cabinets, rather than another single socket size outlet requiring a sunken back box in the wall etc.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In which case use the FCU remotely to provide a switched 3A supply to all the cabinets.

Normally I do this in a similar way to Andy's suggestion.

I place one of these at the top (where its normally out of site / hidden by the cabinet) of the cabinets:

then plug the lights in.

That means the lighting circuit becomes part of the fixed wiring and can be tested independently and you don't have to wait until the cabinets are finished to be able to finish the wiring.

Reply to
John Rumm

"John Rumm" wrote

snip..........

snip................

Thanks John

Would the (accessible and floored) kitchen loft be too remote a location for the FCU?

Also with regard to the 3A MCB suggestion - that would make good sense if it wasn't for the BCO involvement! Changing the breaker changes the characteristics of the circuit and the work can no longer be classed as modifications to existing. I would have to ask Adam to return and Part P the lighting circuit. But that would mean ripping out all the wiring along with the recently installed kitchen and starting again!!!!

Unfortunately, family issues have resulted in long delays to this project - with any luck, the BCO inspector will have retired/been replaced by the time it's ready for final inspection.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

snip...........

It is likely that these are generic instructions, as it is possible to string mutliple fittings together (either directly connected or with link leads). But looking at the construction of the generally available offerings, I wouldn't like to provide an excessive supply.

Thanks Dave

I'll have a look at the local fuse option.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

No, should be fine...

The sooner you can dispense with Mr. B the better ;-)

(another reason why lighting sockets etc are handy since they allow you to get all the wiring "finished" before needing to worry about fitting kitchen units).

Did he ever mutter that infamous phrase "over my dead body"?

Reply to
John Rumm