Furring strips

I would like to fasten pressure treated (dry) 1 X 2 furring strips to an unpainted concrete block wall. Is it acceptable to do so with Liquid Nails? If so, are there any special precautions/steps to be taken? TIA

Reply to
PhotoMan

IMO, Bad idea with just liquid nails. Depends on what the furring strips are supporting. Concrete nails, (cut nails) are not that expensive and they will pound in with just a hammer. I would use 2 to 2.5 inch concrete nails every 12 inches the length of the furring strip.

Probably to many nails, I am not interested in problems later so I tend to over kill a bit.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Tony Pacc

I have used regular nails on many block walls

16,s 8,s and even finish nails. although the finish nails may bend occasionly
Reply to
rnr_construction

I've used Liquid Nails-like construction adhesives, although mostly polyurethane-based, successfully in this circumstance when I had no other options. But I usually use concrete nails and a palm nailer to give the connection better mechanical fastening. The main problem is that they're surface adhesives. If the surface isn't completely clean or the wall might have intermittent moisture problems you could have trouble later.

Steve Manes