Furnace's 24VAC transformer

Hi, I have an old GE home furnace that smoked its 24VAC transformer. This transformer has two additional output terminals that are marked "Thermostat " and connected to the thermostat. The other two outputs are marked 24v and are connected to the pilot light control unit and the gas valve. I took the bad transformer to my local HVAC supply store and they didnt have a direct replacement or any idea of the function of the two extra terminals marked "Thermostat". They wanted to sell me a generic 24VAC transformer but couldnt help me on where to put the wires that went to the original transformer's "Thermostat" terminals.
Does anyone have any idea of what the original transformer's Thermostat terminals do and how can I adapt a generic 24VAC transformer to their operation?
thanks for any help!
Tom
I believe the terminal "connected to thermostat" has two wires attached to it, possibly three. They just need to remain spliced together and have no electrical connection to the transformer. The wire from the terminal " to thermostat" has to be attached to one of the 24V transformer terminals, but which one? If you trace back from the gas valve you'll find one of the two wires goes to the transformer. The wire from "to thermostat" goes on the other terminal

"Thermostat
transformer
idea
wanted
wires
I am taking an WAG here and maybe there were 2 outputs from the old transformer. One was beefier for the valve and the other was limited for the t-stat.
Tom Seneca wrote:

Hi, Not sure? Id' buy two trannies, one for thermostat, one for funrace. Tony

This
"Thermostat
connected
transformer
idea
wanted
wires
really bad idea, competing transformers will cause the magic to be let out of them if they are tied together threw the controls.
Connect one thermostat wire to one new transformer terminal. Connect wire (or wires) removed from one "24v" terminal on old transformer to other terminal on new transformer. Splice remaining wires [one thermostat wire and wire (or wires) removed from other "24v" terminal] together and insulate the connection. The old transformer had one "Thermostat" terminal and one "24v" terminal connected together and the power connected to the remaining two terminals so no splicing was required. Hope this is clear. Don Young

"Thermostat
transformer
idea
wanted