Furnace maintenance

Page 2 of 3

Well put!!! 9 avg size windows one large in lving room. Northern Ohio
OLDHVACDUDE wrote:

<snip>
My annual gas bill for heating is about $250. Take half that and tell me how much I can justify spending on a new furnace to replace my 25 year old one. Then tell me how I can get a furnace installed that cheap. Would you take the job?
OLDHVACDUDE wrote:

Put your numbers into a spreadsheet, fully accounting for the costs and benefits (including those identified by the other responding posters), and calculate your IRR.
I suspect there won't be one, because the replacement will lose money. But feel free to present a full analysis, with details (where the Devil resides, as usual).
BTW, even utility companies don't (generally) get free lunches.

Here's a mighty fine question for our guaranteed savings salesman. According to him, here's the deal:
"My company guarntees that on a system that old your utility bills will decrease by 50 percent on the average over a year. If we tell you it will and it does'nt then we give you the system for free, period. "
So, after getting a nice $8K system installed by his company, what might we expect a whole lot of customers to do? Hmmm, why wouldn't they turn the thermostat up to 76 in the winter, leave a couple windows open. Turn it down to 60 in summer, leave a couple windows open. In other words, just make sure that you're utiltiy bills for the next year don't go down by 50% for a year. Then they get their $8K back, right? This is such an obvious BS guarantee, which surely has some fine print that insures they never have to pay off. Otherwise, any damn fool knows they'd be out of business in no time.
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 06:42:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

My 30 year old house is fully paid up. I quit paying for house insurance 10 years ago. I live alone and my habits don't involve anything that will have an open flame or electrical overloads. Every appliance is well maintained by myself. If there is damage to the house, say weather induced damage, my calculation is that I can fix it myself or hire someone to do it. There won't be any hassle to get the insurance company to accept my claim. No waiting. No frustrations. If my whole house burns down there's nothing I can't afford to lose. Things that do matter are in my safe deposit box at the bank or in a single briefcase that i can grab on the way out the door. Given the insurance claim hassles homeowners have encountered after Katrina, after wildfires, other natural disasters and man made ones I think I have the better strategy for managing loss. At worst I can always walk away. I don't have any debts. Those Katrina victims who lost their house also lost their savings, their health and their mental wellbeing. They have their agonies prolonged for years with no end in sight because the insurance protection they think they had doesn't exist. It costs big bucks to sue the insurance company too.
vacume any dirt/dust off the burners , vacume dust off pilot light area. change air filter , clean blower fins if dirty . dont let a hvac guy charge you 100.00 for doing that. its easy. they will say you need a whole new furnace regarless of what you want done. see, hvac guys dont want to fix anything anymore,just replace the whole furnace.

Do you feel the crap you're suggesting is the only things that get done during a routine clean/inspection? If so, that's really sad!
On Sep 8, 1:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Thanks for the helpful advice, for the two that gave it. For the others, perhaps you don't like to see how long you can keep something going. Not to mention dropping 3000 $ is not something I want to do until I gave to. And the gas company will get that money regardless if I get a new unit or not, just a little slower with the new unit, but they would know that I got a new furnace and jack up the rates anyway.
What is vacume?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:49:16 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Mine is 30 years old and still looks as good as new because I clean the insides and outsides regularly. Had the gas company check the heat exchanger tubes two years ago and they're OK.
I took out the attached humidifier years ago because of window condensation. It also had too much lime buildup on the water tray and sponge element. A replacement sponge is ridiculously expensive. Worse, the humidifier was fungal culture heaven. The sponge element and water tray always felt slimey. It would have received fungal spores, pollen and airborne particulates from the fresh air intake. There's food and warm water to promote fungal growth. Imagine the spores that get circulated. Respiratory distress. Or that regular winter flu season. I haven't had recurrent winter flu for some years now.

living in too dry a environment can lead to other health troubles. with 1% humidity common in a clod climate with heating it can make you vulnerable to bugs.

Also there are some super humidifiers available that eliminate the old water tray and sponge. Aprilaire being one. They use a solid media, more like a thick screen material that fresh water trickles over from top to bottom with air moving through it, and the small amount of remaining water exits and drains out. When it shuts off, the residual heat quickly dries off the remaining water.
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 07:24:02 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I have a lot of house plants. If they thrive I thrive. I have a 30 year old philodendron that has four daughter potted plants. Among other plants my pride and joy is a a cedar plank wall full of climbing ivy that thrives on just watering. The last time I added fertilizer it burned - killed the plant. They need watering only twice a week. I feel comfortable indoors and outdoors and the ambient humidity in both atmospheres is very agreeable to me. Alberta air is quite dry, the body rarely gets sticky with sweat. The plants outside get enough moisture to stay green without watering. We had great summer where temperatures rarely went above the mid 20s celsius.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just pay to have a HVAC technician come out to check the furnace to make sure it is in good working condition and it's safe then have him tell you what you as the home owner can do to maintain the furnace.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Moe Jones wrote:

Shortly after I moved into this house, I found there was a factory recall on my furnace, or more correctly the factory wanted to do a modification to prevent something bad from happening. I called the factory and asked them if they knew anything about the people who installed it, whose tag was on the furnace, and the factory spoke highly of the dealer. So I called the dealer and arranged a service call.
Now, the recall involved paying the dealer their usual service-call fee, PLUS an extra $25, PLUS giving them free parts. So I figured this was a fairly good deal for them. Apparently they didn't think so, because two months later I was calling them again to find out why I hadn't been called and scheduled for a visit. So they got off their lead asses and scheduled something for a few months down the road.
When they finally came, the guy disassembled a lot of stuff, said he replaced the parts, and broke a safety interlock microswitch. He wired across the switch and said he'd schedule a service call to replace it.
It's been four years now, and they haven't bothered. If you think I'm going to let them touch anything inside this house ever again, you're wrong.
So tell me again how I'm going to call a factory-recommended professional to come out, tell me my furnace is ten years old and needs to be replaced for five times his cost, and then tweak a few things for the worse when I tell him I want a second opinion.
--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.
clifto wrote:

I called a "professional" out once to look at my AC compressor. He disconnected pretty much every wire in sight, said, "You need a new one," and when I asked him instead to reconnect what he had disconnected so that I could get a second opinion, he got in his truck and drove away.
Do you mean "diesel"?
What's the fuel source? Any more details other than that?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
on 9/8/2007 5:48 PM Christopher Young said the following:

Geisel is a brand name of furnace.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"diesel"?h> ooGeisel is a brand name of furnace.18> What's the fuel source? Any more details other than that?o>6> arh-- 4aBillmIn Hamptonburgh, NY7To email, remove the double zeroes after @
there ya go again ,demonstrating what you dont know he said and meant Geisel ,