Fully Variable Speed Control Unit for Lasko 2155A Window Fan

Page 3 of 3
On 6/21/2011 12:56 PM, Evan wrote:

Nope, still no help at all. Get the picture?
Martin Levac wrote:

Some small induction motors, particularly if driving a load like a fan, can be made to run at a slower speed by simply decreasing the voltage. As has been mentioned, the usual solid state control removes part of the AC waveform, which may result in motor overheating.
This can be done with a tapped autotransformer or simply with a series resistor(s). A variable resistor of sufficient power rating would give limited stepless speed control.
I have a condenser fan on my refrigerator that the repairman replaced with one that sounded like a jet taking off! I dropped the voltage to about 90 volts and it's been happily and quietly running for the past five years.
You'll never know if your particular motor behaves in this way until you try it. It may run fine at a lower voltage, but not start. In this case you need to insure it's always started with the higher voltage.
--
Virg Wall

VWWall wrote:

Virg, you're wasting your time. This is crosposted from alt.home.repair which is full of trolls and dangerous idiots. Killfile the loser.

Define dangerous. ;)
BTW, I thought Eddie Lebec was one of yours.
RicodJour wrote:

Define define! ;-)

Never heard of anyone by that name.

It's using other words to explain other other words.

Never watched Cheers!...? That old TV vehicle for Ted Danson, Kirstie Alley and Kelsey Grammer? Eddie Lebec was the Canuckiadian goalie that Carla was involved with for a few episodes.
RicodJour wrote:

Whoosh! ;-)

I've been trying to forget that series. 'Gilligan's Island' was better. :(

I have slowed things down with a green plug.
Greg
In article

There may be some tricks I do not know about but the only way I can think to make cheap three speed induction motors that are also reasonably efficient and without costly electronics is to switch the wiring to change the effective number of poles.
I am now curious enough to look that up.
--

Sam

Martin Levac wrote:

Consider a piece of cardboard and some duct tape. Jeeze!
On 6/21/2011 11:56 AM, HeyBub wrote:

That would have been funny 5 minutes ago. Alarm clock broken? Well, you know what to fix it with at least.
Martin Levac wrote:

Everybody knows that and that's what I'm trying to explain. Heck, while I write this I have to have a gun in each hand and a knife in the other. But all is okay except for the few who drowned in an adjacent bog.
I cannot believe how difficult it has been to get technical information for the kind of three speed fan being discussed. I Googled various terms. Without heavy restrictions, millions of hits were made without solid information.
I did find something that showed how to switch from two-pole to four-pole operation on for a single phase induction motor.
I did find an ambiguous description on how to get three (or) more speeds from a universal motor by switching what would be the field winding of a series dc motor. Good fans seem to operate with motors without commutators. I do not know if universal motors are used with fans. I would think induction motors would be more reliable and cheaper.
If someone has good links, please pass them along.
I did get to a catalog posting of a motor controller, offered by Granger. I think it was a variable frequency drive. If so, the output voltage was not reduced at low frequency.
--

Sam