Frozen gutters

Chances are many others in the northeast USA are sharing this problem. Because of frozen gutters and ice damming I'm getting some water penetration.
Last time this happened I had extended drip edges installed. Can't help but think that much of the problem would be relieved if I could simply keep the gutters draining.
Looking for ideas either for homeowner installation or to be done by professionals.

There are electric heater cables that you're supposed to be able to run along the edges of your roof and down the gutter. I wonder if they'd work running down the lead.....
NJBrad

Yes, the roof heating cable package recommends that. The cables are not just for the roof, but can be used in the gutters and downspout.
I've repositioned mine this year (because I've fixed some heat leakage and insulation problems in the attic) with less on the roof, and more in the gutter. Though we haven't got enough accumulation for me to run them at all.
Dave (NW Boston area).

How bad is the electrical draw? Can they be left on overnight without the power company sharing the glory?
The ice is from poor roof ventilation. Any heat that gets to the attic needs to be gone. Anyone want to try to change my mind?

Sure. You're overlooking the possibility that the guy simply didn't clean out his gutters in the fall or has downspout blockage. The Northeast had a blizzard a week or two back, and all that melt tend to re-freeze when it has nowhere to go.
Regular gutter cleaning and pulling as much snow off your roof from the ground with one of those roof shovels after a blizzard tends to help prevent ice dams.
AJS

Only for general information. In my case the gutters and down spouts were cleaned professionally first week of December. Well after the leaves quit falling off the trees.
House is a cape cod style with a very high dormer. Impossible to access for snow removal.
Attic in this old house is very confined with difficult access. Only additional insulation that could be applied would be the blown in variety. Previous threads suggested the effectiveness of doing that was questionable.

I've got a Cape Cod with clean gutters, too, and you know what *always* is the root cause of my ice dams? Melt re-freezing in the 45 (or so)-degree elbows on the downspouts -- which then clogs everything above it and backs up into the gutters until those become a solid block of ice. Only good solution I've run across is to go out a few times a day and rap on the elbows and straight runs to dislodge the giant chunks of ice to keep the water melt flowing OK. Luckily, my elbows are a few feet above ground level and removable, but man, do those things clog up.
AJS

Sometimes it seems I'd be better off without the gutters at all. I've got a fair amount of slope away from the foundation so excess water ought to drain away.
Jim Strand wrote:

A sheet of water falls in front of your doors, and you get exceptionally green grass near the roof edge footprint.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
Jim Strand wrote:

How did you mount that thermostat?

The heat cable, plug and thermostat is sold as a complete unit. It's mounted in-line between the cord & plug and the actual heater cable.
for the newsgroup archives:

Flat, galvanized steel gutter screens are pretty effective at preventing gutter problems with winter ice and snow.
Ron
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:53:05 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net"

I'm having difficulty understanding how that would work.
I've had this a couple times in central Ohio (certainly nowhere near the coldest/snowiest clime in the US). Both times it was because I had not gotten to cleaning the gutter on that side of the house (also a Cape, happens only in the rear where a bay window extends under the gutter, water runs right in). Keep 'em clean for starters. Also if you're having the roof replaced make sure you have rubber membrane installed in the bottom section down to the gutters. If done right this can prevent the water from getting through.
Dan

Even a well ventilated roof can and will have icicles. I have an unheated shed with icicles on it. Sunshine melts the snow as well....
NJBrad
Hey NJ,
Do you even post anything useful? Most of your replies have no relevance to the topic. Sounds like you are the type that thinks he know everything!!!!!!!!!