Frigidaire M1 Ice Maker

I have a Frigidaire fridg.with the M1 ice maker which when you take front cover off you see the small gear on motor and big gear on to turn the ice cube remover.How do you manually activate this unit,in other words make it cycle so I don't have to wait on it to go thru cycle.I read that you can pull up on ejector to do this but haven't ben able to get it to start that way.I am wanting to do this to test the water dispensing valve and wiring to it. Thanks

Reply to
Phil

Hi,

No model# posted.

model# helps.

A common version....

To cycle this ice maker pull the rake fingers upwards with a firm constant pull. Look and listen to the ice maker. You should see the gears on the front of the ice maker start to turn and after a few seconds you can let go of the rake and it will continue on it's own. The ice maker will go through it's cycle. The fill portion is towards the end of the cycle, approx 6-9 seconds of fill.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Model is a M1 Ok I did get cycling this way.What I found.

1.It cycles ok. 2.I hear the solinoid for water valve open,no water in tray.Fill tube is not frozen. 3.I switch the plugs on coils to valves so the door switch for front water is on ice maker valve.Puch in front switch.It fills tray that way and relay works ok. Now I think micro switch in ice maker bad,so I remove ice maker plug from relay and check for voltage when ice maker trips micro switch.Blows that idea,I have right at 100 volts at plug for 7 secounds when ice maker cycles. So now I switch water lines and use the ice maker valve for door dispenser and vice versa.Same effect,but can't get water to ice maker.Still the line to ice maker is clear with no ice in it,and still have near 100 volts on coil. 4.I don't want to throw parts at it when I can't seem to find a bad part anywhere. Any thoughts now? COULD IT BE THE DIODES limiting current,if so where would I find them.This is a Fridgadare Galaxy side by side.It does have the inside fridg.filter on back wall.Yes it is new filter cart.in it. Any other thoughts outside of not having icemaker or just getting new fridg?
Reply to
Phil

What is important is the model number of *the whole appliance* not just one component of it. The same icemaker may be used on hundreds of different refrigerator models. The only way to look up parts on your fridge is with the refrigerator's model number.

You can find tips for locating the model number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

It could.

Impossible to say without the model number *of the fridge*. Often they are in the wires which attach to the water valve and in close proximity to it.

If the problem is in the inline diode(s), there is a repair kit available which can be seen at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Thanks for taking time to answer questions,it really has me stumpied. The fridg is: Frigidaire model# FRS26ZGEB1 Side by side . I have looked but haven't seen diodes any where.But may be overlooking them. What is the purpose of the diodes in line on water valve?

Reply to
Phil

Not the icemaker, the refrigerator!

Yes possible, but kinda sounds like a funky fill valve...we may learn more once we see what model/style your refrigerator is.

In the wire harness beside the fill valves.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Hi,

I saw no diodes....normally the mechanical dispensor doesn't have them while the electronic version does. The diodes cut the 60 cycle power in 1/2 and operated on 30 cycles = dumb idea, JMO!!

If the water feed is good, filter is good, power is comming from the icemaker to the fill valves but no water an intermittant fill valve may be suspect. Many techs have adopted the practice of changing both valves at the same time as there has been soooooo many problems with working/not working/intermittant issues.

water inlet valve mounted in back behind refrigerator.

water inlet valve in refrigerator for water filter

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff