Freezer question, your experience.

Page 1 of 3
We need to buy a freezer. The *chest* type is what we want with the lid on the top.
'Which' magazine recommends the Miele GT263 and for a hundred pounds less the Zanussi ZFC 321 which comes in at £260.
The Miela has this feature which is suppose to expel the air inside, after the lid is closed. With less air trapped the theory is that it will not need defrosting as often as normal.
Knowing that its just not easy to get an airtight seal, the suspicion is that it might draw the air out but; it will creep back in again anyway.
Would anyone with experience of the Miele freezer know if its worth paying the extra £100 for this 'de-frost' feature. In other words does it work as a means of cutting out defrosting? Thanks for any advice.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You could answer that question readily enough. Does the unit have a vacuum relief valve that you activate in order to get the lid open again? If not, then I'd say your suspicion is correct.
Do you really need to post this to six groups? (My newsreader won't even allow me to respond to that many, so I beheaded two of them.)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Smitty Two wrote:

It never pumps air out to begin with sounds more realistic
NT
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 2, 7:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

4pint plastic jugs don;t....
Add pictures here
βœ–

Never had *any* size milk carton burst in the freezer.
MBQ
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've only ever frozen 4 pinters (didn't want to upset the edantic police....err....)
Jim K
Add pictures here
βœ–
Never had *any* size milk carton burst in the freezer.

Why would you ever want to freeze milk?
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

Who buys milk in plastic jugs? ALWAYS buy milk in cartons. It lasts longer and tastes better.
Add pictures here
βœ–
[snip]

When milk costs $1-2US LESS in the gallon plastic jug than for 2 1/2- gallon cartons, you bet your bippy I'm buying the jug. It's not going bad on me either way…
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote: [snip]

Anyone who uses more than a quart of dairy products in one week deserves to be PLONKED!
Add pictures here
βœ–
h wrote: ...

So have one on hand just in case, primarily....
Always have at least one gallon in the freezer.
βœ–

Umm, so how is that useful? Especially since frozen dairy products are inedible once thawed. PLONK!
Add pictures here
βœ–

== h must be about 11 years old and hates milk. ==
Add pictures here
βœ–

=>>h must be about 11 years old and hates milk. =h is 53, likes milk just fine, but hates idiots. PLONK!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Im gonna go PLONK myself, I'm just all plonked up! <PLONK>
Add pictures here
βœ–

PLONK!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Milk freezes quite well in the original half gallon carton. Just decant about a cup to make room for expansion. When it thaws, the texture is a little off, but if you are pouring it on your cornflakes, you will never even notice.
Is ice cream inedible if it melts?
Add pictures here
βœ–
dpb wrote:

Hmmm, You don't know how bad milk is for intestinal well being? There are thing my family stay away as much as possible; milk, sugar, salt = poison! Gallon of milk? Must be crazy!
Add pictures here
βœ–

== I'll go along with that conclusion as well. ==
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 18:09:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I haven't done it in awhile, but I used to freeze half gallon cartons of milk regularly. They would bulge slightly, but I never had one burst.
I'm not sure the results would be identical if you filled a milk carton with water.
Add pictures here
βœ–