Freezer question, your experience.

Hmmm, You don't know how bad milk is for intestinal well being? There are thing my family stay away as much as possible; milk, sugar, salt = poison! Gallon of milk? Must be crazy!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Milk freezes quite well in the original half gallon carton. Just decant about a cup to make room for expansion. When it thaws, the texture is a little off, but if you are pouring it on your cornflakes, you will never even notice.

Is ice cream inedible if it melts?

Reply to
salty

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature inside.

Reply to
Doug Miller

-snip-

I suspect I've lost more $ with the chest freezers I've owned through lost food than I have through the 'air dump' of the uprights. [minimized by keeping the freezer full- even if it is just jugs of ice or bread.]

My neighbor wasn't that big-- but a few minutes with my electric chainsaw & he fit in my upright just fine.

I've owned both & prefer the upright for most use. If I was buying a whole cow every year I might consider a dedicated 'beef freezer'.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It has a very deleterious effect on items that you want to keep for a long time. The warm air that goes in also is loaded with moisture, which is another enemy of DEEP freezers.

Reply to
salty

==

== h is 53, likes milk just fine, but hates idiots. PLONK!

Take out the shelves and stand them upright.

Ever try and stuff a rigor mortis'ed body into a chest freezer?

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

How does non-pressurized air have weight?

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

The same way anything else has weight. Did you really think that air weighs nothing?

BTW, there's no such thing as "non-pressurized air". The air you're breathing right now has a pressure of 1 atmosphere, equal to about 14.7 pounds per square inch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

jeez, no wonder i'm wheezing. i thought it was the cigarettes.

your pal, blake

Reply to
blake murphy

Yes. All my scales currently read "0". Yet sitting on top of them are billions of cubic feet of air.

OK, So I had to look it. I don't know the logic behind it, but 1 cubic foot of air at standard temperature and pressure assuming average composition weighs approximately 0.0807 lbs.

So to understand your comment, one would have to know the weight of 0F (approximately) air and then convert that to cubic feet to get any sort of sense what the f*ck you actually mean.

Anybody know that off the top of their head? (Some dumbass will of course look it up, post it, and claim they knew it. but this is Usenet - shit like that is a given).

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

lol

Reply to
Ophelia

Let us know when you own a scale that has 5 sides in a vacuum and just the measuring part exposed to air.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

My ATV tires take 3 psi yet they don't collapse! Read up on atmospheric pressure.

Reply to
Larry

Just wait until it comes out of rigor, of course.

Reply to
tmclone

It's 3PSI above atmospheric presure, dumbass.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

You're the one that needs to do the reading. Pressure gauges do *not* measure absolute pressure. Google the difference between psig and psia.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Dude, I got one right here. But how do I use that to determine how much cold air I'm losing when I open my freezer?

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Yeah - What Larry said! You tell em Larry!

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

Simple. Evacuate the air from the room. Place freezer on scale, take reading. Open freezer door, let air out. Take another reading. Subtract second from first.

Reply to
AZ Nomad