Free Air is Inferior

Page 1 of 2
The old saying is "you get what you pay for". The next time you pull into a gas station to pump up a tire, pass up the "free air". Go to a station that charges a half buck or more to get your air. The price is right on the free air, but the air is poor quality air that will shorten the life of your tires. If you must use the free air in an emergency, be sure to remove and replace it as soon as possible afterwards. It's simply not quality air and should not be used for any length of driving. The rule of thumb is to find the station that charges the highest price for their air and go there. The more it costs, the better the air quality.
This important message brought to you by "The National Air Institute" (NAI) Washington DC.
on 6/25/2007 2:20 PM snipped-for-privacy@NAInet.org said the following:

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Good one!
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The guy who sold me my monster oxygen free speaker cables with the gold ends said you should only use argon in your tires ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in said the following:

How far north do you live? Argon is only good above the 45th parallel.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

They make argon at the Argonne National Laboratories, near Chicago. Argonne is a trade name.

That doesn't change the recommendation that argon only be used north of the 45th parallel. South of the line, one should use nogra.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

I know you said it in jest, but a lot of people are being sold on nitrogen in their tires. Stations are getting $5 a tire. They use nitrogen in race cars and aircraft where it has some benefits, so naturally, someone came up with the idea of selling it to the gullible public as a real value. .

I'm a airline pilot and I used to fly for a race team.. The only advantages to nitrogen is no Oxy present, dry (easy to have dry air too.. ) THE reason it's used is compressed cylinder of Nitrogen, when regulated down to usable pressures, goes a LOOOOONG way. If you're in pit road,, and using air tools, no compressor is needed. In Lear jets, a volleyball size/shaped tank at 1700 lbs is used to "blow" the gear down in an emergency and for emergency braking. If the same cubic ft of dry air could be stored in the same size tank.. that would be used. Also.. if you're going to pressurize something that has to be pressurized higher than air compressor system will go safely, you grab the nitrogen tank... Chuck
Carbon dioxide would do much of that kind of thing. As a liquified gas, it would seem like it would have more capacity.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

In fact GM used to have a tiny CO2 tank in the trunk to inflate the spare in the 70s when the compact, deflated spare was what you got in a compact car. It was about an inch bigger than the bare rim deflated. The problem was what do you do with the bad tire you replaced. It would not fit back in the tiny hole the spare was in.
On Jun 25, 4:19 pm, "Chuck (in SC)" <> wrote:

Both O2 and N2 are near enough perfect gases and you can compress the same volume. The oxygen would weigh slightly more for the same volume because of higher molecular weight. Oxygen under high pressure does present flammability problems in that it should not contact organic materials when under high pressure. Nitrogen should also be kinder to rubber since oxidation is the major degradation pathway. Frank
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:48:28 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

They use nitrogen in race tires because they know exactly how much it will expand as the tire heats up.
PV=nRT applies to air as predictably as it applies to nitrogen. No advantage to N2 in this regard. Can't really see an advantage in any regard, esp. not for race cars.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 04:20:22 -0400, Proctologically Violated wrote:

Air contains water vapor. The percentage of water vapor in air is not constant. It varies with location, weather conditions, etc.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

For $2.00 per tyres I will fill it with 78% Nitrogen.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Close enough. I'll fax the money.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Don't forget to fax the tyres as well.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:22:25 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

Fax machines are becoming obsolee. If you are going to fill tyres for a business, get a money modem, or a newer solid and liquid modem.
On Jun 25, 1:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@NAInet.org wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Probably giving away my age with this one, but does anybody else remember the Pfister Gas Station chains advertising "pink" air?
Mark
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:20:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@NAInet.org wrote:

That's because they use imported Chinese air, and it's low quality. Partly because of all the air pollution in parts of China.
Pay the 50 cents and get real American air.
BTW, Chinese air quickly degrades into its component parts, and that's another problem.