Flat Screen TVs

Page 2 of 2
?

Just be sure to mount the TV at a comfortable height. I've seen some that are too high and make it uncomfortable for viewing more than a few minutes. The same height as a stand is about right
You can easily make a box to hide the cables running down from the TV. It can be painted to match the wall or stained to match any furniture under it. It can be wood, it can be cardboard or metal. Check to see if you can get an RF remote for your box. I have one with DirecTV and it makes life simpler. You don't have to point it at the box, you just have to be within 100' or so. The box can even be inside a cabinet.
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:01:17 -0800 (PST), jwcarlton

Though we don't have a wide-screen, we've thought about it. Since it would go where our bulky entertainment center is now, we decided we will get rid of the entertainment center. They weren't made for wide-screens. It might make a decent tool/parts shed, but it's too bulky even for that. I always hated that thing, but my wife wanted the shelves to display curios and other crap. It easily handled the stereo gear too. We won't hang the TV on the wall. Put it on a buffet/credenza deal and frame that on either side with "matching" curio cabinets. Stereo gear is going - we just never turn it on anymore. The buffet/credenza has space for DVD player and other TV gear. That's one idea anyway. We don't feel we have to conceal the TV screen. What's the point? We don't live like James Bond or a nemesis of his.
--Vic

My 46" is sitting on a wood cabinet that has a swivel top. Tivo, Blue Ray, Amp, are in the lower portion. Looks great to me. Got it several years ago at BestBuy. I would not want the TV on the wall because sitting on a sofa it's more comfortable to be viewing it lower.

Our 62" is sitting on a stand made for the purpose. It has room for all the components needed for home theater and wireless karaoke. 7.1 a/v amp, cable top box, Blue ray DVD player, etc. All controlled by one remote control. Big picture w/o good sound system is unthinkable.

Unless it was a very cheesy stereo (no offence meant), why wouldnt you just plug the audio output of the TV into the aux IN of the TV instead of using the el-cheapo "stereo" speakers in the TV?
On the other point, our 37" just sticks a bit out of the side of the older wall unit 'pointing' in the general direction of where we sit. We decided to do it that way instead of using an extending wall hanger and have it fit OVER the whole old aperture in the old unit
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 07:31:44 -0800 (PST), myfathersson

The stereo gear is "decent" Sony. Maybe $1500 15 years ago, about $500 being 5 speakers. But the carousel CD player went south after a couple years. And the twin deck cassette reco/play? What were we thinking?! Never even used that! Maybe it came as part of the package. Anyway, we'll keep the amp/radio, which is real good, and 3 small speakers, so we can have "decent" TV sound. The 2 big floor speakers are just too - big. I'll miss the their bass, but sometimes you just compromise. Our living room is pretty small, and those big speakers don't fit with what my wife wants. I won't miss them, and somebody else will get good use from them.
--Vic

The way to go these days is surround sound. A subwoofer and 5 to 9 small speakers. I bought a Yamaha receiver that allows me to play the TV on the downstairs family room and still play CDs on the speakers upstairs. I have one of those 2 cassette players too, but I've not even hooked it into this system.
Before you run out and pay a lot of money for HDMI cables, check on Amazon or ebay. I paid about $4 for mine. from Amazon. Retailers get from $15 to $60 for them.

The old style armoires appear to be on their way out as entertainment centers for just the reason you cited - there's no need to have a 24" deep cabinet for a TV that's only 1" deep. We needed one for a bedroom that had a 24" wall niche and were able to buy one for $300 that was retailing for $1200.

The popular solution these days is to buy a wall mount. They come in different flavors ranging from bolt to the wall to full articulating. The articulating ones remind me too much of a cheap motel room though.
I think I prefer the low cabinet with a center mast that hides the cables up to a TV mount.

The one we have has a 13" deep TV bay with a shelf extending out over a deeper base unit. I built my own articulating bracket that fastens to the side of the bay and gives me 90 degrees of rotation so we can see the TV from the other room. I did do a little geometry trick so it also extends out far enough to clear the cabinet while out and nesting, centered over the hole, retracted. The hole in back is a good place to set the net connected computer that will be the front end of any 21st century TV. The wireless desktop works fine from my recliner.

Um, have you considered how deep a 47" CRT TV would be? Even that 36" TV is a lot deeper than an entertainment unit needs to be today.

I'm with you there, and that doesn't solve your "problem" anyway.

I have the stand. It's actually pulled away from the wall far enough to walk behind it to get to the built-in book cases (and CD/DVD storage) along the wall.

All the comments are re: wall mounts of "big-ass" TVs.
That's not an option for my modest 32" bedroom Panasonic flat screen, because it's on a wheeled stand that backs up to a window.
I am worried, however, about it falling down in an earthquake (I am in So Cal). The stand that comes with the TV seems so flimsy that a good jolt would knock it over.
How can I secure the TV, short of running guy wires to all 4 corners of the stand <g>?
TIA
HB
?

At least some of the TVs come with a tether that can be attached to the back and then to the stand to prevent it tipping forward. I'd consider something like that as opposed to attaching to the wall since it is on a mobile stand. I can visualize a cable from the TV clipped to a window rod and someone wanting to clean and moves the mobile base away, leaving the TV to dangle. That would hurt!