Flashlights, old style, hundreds of them...

Page 1 of 3

Awl --
I'm warehousing (in my hovel) about 250+ carded bulb-style D-cell flashlights, all colors. They are carded without the D-cells (req. 2).
What to do with these??
They were originally intended as a part of some camping/survival pack, but I don't think too many people want to hump Dcells around, now that LEDs are common, and integrated into other utilities as well.
I figger I got 3 options:
1. throw'em out... 2. Sell'em to 99c stores -- and if they don't take them, that's a sure sign they are worthless. 3. Scavenge the bulbs? :) THEN throw'em out... or mebbe 4. Freebies/incentives with other stuff I might be selling? But, if they are indeed useless....
I sort of dread humping around to 99c stores.... is it worth a shot?
--
EA

Existential Angst wrote: ...

Walking in off the street w/ all of 250 of an item you expect them to buy for resale from an individual??????????? Not hardly...
dpb wrote:

They are flea market fodder. You might net $100 at best for your time and effort to get them to an area flea market and sell them.
On 4/11/2010 11:53 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

I guess you could call around to the dollar stores but I expect they will only offer less than $100 for the lot. When batteries run out on my old flashlights, I toss them in the Goodwill bags with clothes and stuff that I give them.
The dollar stores buy in bulk from China. They won't be interested in such a small quantity. And, they can (probably) only buy from their own supply line.
The tax deduction sounds good, or sell them cheap at a flea market.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Existential Angst wrote:

EA, How about Craigslist? I wonder if a homeless shelter or a battered women's shelter would take them?
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

I'm not quite sure I get what you've got in mind here.
re: "Hire a couple Cubscouts to go door to door."
To "hire" typical mean to pay for labor or personal services. In other words, the Scouts would be doing something to benefit the OP right.
Based on your final words "Most people will spend $2.50 on a useless piece of junk if it's for the kids", what exactly are you suggesting the OP hire the Cub Scouts to do?
If it's to act like kids doing a fund raiser while to OP pockets the profits, that's pretty dishonest, not to mention despicable for considering getting the Cub Scouts involved.
If it's an actually donation to the Scouts so they can raise some money, why would the OP need to "hire" them?
I was less than serious, in my reply. However, your comments are all accurate.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

to start with they are still junk. A good flashlight that actually works when you need it is a handy thing to have.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:00:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Let me guess - made in China plastic?
I like the old Ever-Ready Workman and Ray-O-VacSportsman metal bodied units -

The dollar store would give you about 20 for them, if anything. Donate them to a shelter before hurricane season. Or Goodwill, etc.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Around here, there are constant 'garage sales' at a couple of the rental storage place. Unlicensed flea markets, basically. Bet your area has something similar. Those guys may give you a couple of bucks for them. A real dollar store will NOT buy stuff from people walking in off the street. No chain wants the risk of stolen property, roaches in the boxes, etc. Their own warehouses or drop-ship from vendors, is the only way they fly. I haven't seen any independent ma'n'pa dollar stores in years.
Garage sale season is starting. If you aren't having one of your own, or know somebody that is, check your local ad paper for charities trolling for donations for the ones they hold.
And there is always CraigsList and FreeCycle.
--
aem sends...

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:53:20 -0400, "Existential Angst"

Could also try local "surplus" outlets.
www.sciplus.com American Science and Surplus.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Home Page: http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses -------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability: -------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."
That's priceless. Mostly because it's so true.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old story.
The liars club had its annual meeting and everyone told tall tales some rather long and innvolved. Last guy up simply says, "I have to adult children and a flashlight at home and they all work".

Art