Flared gas line fittings - hex'd housing bottoming out before flare fitting

I was working on installing our dryer tonight (old dryer, moved to a different residence).

I went to Orchard Supply Hardware to buy a gas line. The gas line said it's for heaters, stoves, fireplaces, and wall heaters. The guy at the store said it's fine for a dryer also.

So, I go to install it, and the hex portion of the fittings bottomed out before the flared fittings sealed, meaning they didn't really seal.

Are there different types of flared fittings?

The bag says they're 3/8" Flare connection nuts.

I ended up replacing the fittings on the dryer with fittings that had a longer thread engagement, but now will likely have to do the same at the wall, since I realized later the valve coming out of the wall has the same problem (which I'm not looking forward to - I don't really want to mess with the wall pipe if I don't have to).

Are there different lengths of 3/8" male flared fittings? Is there an adapter available?

Thanks for any tips.

-James

Reply to
James

ron580

Reply to
ron580

I can't say that both flared and compression fittings have the same thread, since I've never tried connecting them, but male flare fittings have a rounded nose that mates with the inside of the flared tubing. Compression fittings have a straight hole that the pipe fits INTO. The seal is achieved by the ball-shaped ferrule that's slipped over the tubing.

Reply to
JKevorkian

James,

I really don't want this to sound like I'm putting you down because I'm not...but really, if your not ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE you have the right lines/fittings and the connection is perfect, PLEASE, call your gas supplier or a plumber for this job. The cost should be minimal and the peace of mind you'd get well worth the cost. It really is impossible to properly advise you without actually SEEING what you have, if this were a water line i'd say go for it, worse case you get your feet wet, but GAS, no way, the risk of injury or death is just not worth saving a few bucks.

Good Luck George

Reply to
George