fireplace thermal coupler

My fireplace thermal coupler must have gone bad as the pilot light would no longer stay lit. Can anyone tell me if it is easy to change the thermal coupler? Do I have to turn off the gas supply line before embarking on this? Will any thermal coupler do? Thanks in advance.
--
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
remove NOSPAM for email address
Shaw news wrote:

Yes they are easy to replace and you don't even need to turn off the gas.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit