Sun trashed a plastic/pvc thing pretty fast - what to do?

I got a new outdoor patio table last month, and in less than a week, the plastic/pvc ring lining the hole where the umbrella goes had discolored from clear to yellow, and now it's brown, kind of the color of a glass of coke with lots of melted ice in it.

I'd say "that's life," but one, I can't believe it happened so fast (less than a week?), and two, it's a product designed for outdoor use - can't believe it is that fussy about sun exposure.

Any suggestions? My first inclination was to remove the ring and scrub it, but it can't figure out how to take it off. It lines the umbrella hole, extending out across the top and bottom of the table surface for about 1/2 an inch, and it seems to be one piece.

I really don't feel like returning the whole table because of a fast degradation in what's probably a 69-cent part.

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

Cleaning it won't help. The discoloration is from UV. The manufacturer should have used a UV-resistant plastic. They didn't, probably in order to save two or three cents.

If it were me I'd take the set back and let the retailer deal with it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Take it back its junk, get something else, in a year it will be in the garbage, obviously its a bad batch of plastic not pvc.

Reply to
m Ransley

That's why God made paint.

Reply to
WM

I've heard of people using some of the newer plastic adhearing paints to brighten up dull sun faded plastic lawn furniture.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great