Fireplace

Can a wood burning fireplace retrofitted years ago with Ng logs burn wood by just removing the fake logs and leaving the gas burners inplace. I would cover the burners wih sheet aluminum. The gas valve is far enough outside the fireplace front.
The integrity of the chimney may have been adversely affected during the retrofit or during the passage of time. I would definitely have a qualified chimney expert (see yellow pages) do an evaluation.
Additionally, the heat from the wood burning may be too much for the new gas tubing. Be very careful.
Hope this helps,
John Churchill Builder/Instructor at Emory University Author of www.renovation101.com
I wonder if it would affect-ruin the gas piping from high heat.

Last gas log I installed I put the black iron pipe low into the fire box. It was covered with the vermiculite. You stated the gas valve is outside the fire box. >>>>>>> WAG, if your fires are small and they do not reach the temp of melting the pipe, probably not. WAG>>>>>>>>>>>>
Be careful out there.

Interesting thought. I would be concerned about the height of the wood and the draw of the fire the sheet metal would change.
I guess if you removed the fake logs it would not be a problem providing the fireplace is set up for wood in the first place.
They sell gas matches for wood fireplaces. Your gas log is not all that much different.
Try a small one and let us know.

The aluminum might last one fire if you're lucky.
Bob

Aluminum melts at about 1220 F. The ecofire site says the hottest glowing parts of a wood fire are about 1200 F. Steel melts at about 2500 F...
Nick
On 28 Dec 2005 13:53:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

And is that higher or lower than a gas flame?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com