fire-rated doors

I'm selling my house and one of the things the buyer wants corrected is the interior door from the house to the garage. It is a solid core wood door that I cut a hole in many years ago for a pet door. He has asked for a "fire-rated" door to which I agreed.
The guy at Lowe's told me fire-rated doors are exterior grade steel doors and of course the one I need is not in stock and must be special ordered. Is it true this door will have to be steel and if so will the old door frame work if I just replace the door itself at the hinges?
badgolferman wrote:

Hi, Our local code requires steel door with self closer.(spring loaded hinges in my case).

Contact the Building Inspection Dept. in your city to get the straight scoop on what will pass a 'fire rated' code. Maybe it will turn out that a steel door and a wood frame are OK for residential. The chap at Lowe's was probably thinking along the lines of an industrial door. There are probably many steel doors available in stock at the box stores if your code is typical. Good luck.
Joe

In the U.S., the International Residential Code requires either a 1 3/4 inch thick solid wood door or a 20 minute rated door. These are available in wood. A real builders' supply house or hardware distributor should have the information. T
badgolferman wrote:

I have the same door to garage set up as you. I wanted to replace that door a few years ago.
At that time, the store (Home Depot) did have wood fire rated doors. However, to be "fire rated" (which is what you agreed to), it actually has to be "stamped" and certified as such. Furthermore, I believe they only would sell them as pre-hung. I forget the logic now, but it may have to do with what another poster said. The new code is the door to the garage also has to have spring loaded hinges and one of those super duper weather sealer that ends up poking up from the bottom and goes up into the door when shut.
The other problem you may have, if an older house like mine, is they often used slimmer doors, which is no longer acceptable. So the good news is you can get wood if you want. The bad news is most likely you will have to have a new frame and meet all the new codes.
-- John
John Ross wrote:

Yes, I seem to be having an issue finding a 30" solid core door to replace mine. Several places I've called don't seem to carry such a thing. We do have a RE Store locally that I will check for availability.

if its a block wall cut the opening larger to use a stock door.
i did that here, the wider opening is much more convenient.......