Fence line

Page 2 of 2
In wrote:

better yet, since she doesn't have to see it, get abundle or 2 of comp shingles, lay 'em out overlapping 'em and nothing will grow

That area will not all be his. One foot of it belongs to his neighbor.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.
I *do* have a permit. I *can* put the fence *on* the property line. (Buildings, structures have setbacks, fences here don't) I am within city limits. I have had the city inspectors come to my property and we've walked it all out. I am on a corner on the front and there is a visibility concern because it enters a busy state highway. I am not disputing land ownership or access to fence once it's up. My original question was about the best way to maintain the strip in the middle of the two fences. Thanks. Perry bentcajungirl

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:48:11 -0500, "bentcajungirl"

Then your city rules are much different than in my city.
I'm curious then...and you may not be able to answer this question. But...
Who does the property line BELONG to? It can't belong to BOTH of you. I mean...you BOTH can't put a fence on the property line.
That's why there's an offset.
I mean...you couldn't even dig a HOLE *ON* the property line. The outer circumference of the hole would have to butt up to the property line.
Its sounds like yer knowledgeable about your regulations...but it sure sounds weird to me...especially since you said that your neighbor's fence is offset about a foot. Why would he do this?...or whoever put it up...if it could have been put right on the property line.

To me, that doesn't make sense. And a fence is a structure.

There should be no concern whatsoever. There should be a spec for this situation. Remember, you have few rights to the property near the roadway. All you do is pay taxes on it. lol You should make sure you know what is actually property under your control...and what is actually right-of-way.
In my city, anything at the corner cannot obstruct the view of traffic. This usually means no more than about 2-3 ft. high...and usually pertains to anything from the inside portion of the sidewalk (nearest the house) to the curb.

Why not talk to the neighbor?...and ask him if he would like to take his fence down. Maybe this might be a chance to change things around...and be his friend. Stranger things have happened.
At any rate, it sounds like the limbo area is gonna be 1 foot his and the rest yours...whatever final width you decide to make it. Will he let you cut his grass?...because that's exactly what yer doin' now. Its not as OBVIOUS now, of course...because of only 1 fence. But it might be a sore point once your fence goes up.
You can always make the area wide enough to get a mower in. And you SHOULD...no matter who lays claim to the opening. At least make it large enough to walk into with a weed eater.
Are you gonna put a gate there?...or just keep it open? lol Who's gonna paint his side of the gate? Will he allow you to latch the gate onto his property line? lol
Its interesting the situations we get ourselves into...simply because we can't get along.
Good luck, buddy!
Have a nice week...
Trent
Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.
There is never a chance that relations between this grouchy neighbor and myself will ever be better. I have tried and he is a sh** stirrer. Period. His fence is one foot on his property, so that it is HIS fence. I don't have a problem with that. I am putting mine one foot on my side, so that it is MY fence. The "line" is a mystery. It's a fine line. The "line" belongs to both, and/or nobody. The fence is described as a fence in my locale, and the buildings are structures. There is no setback on fences, only restrictions on height in certain situations. I think I am going to go with my original gameplan of one foot on my property and at least I can get in there with a sprayer full of weed killer and a weedeater. I will never hang a gate between the two fences, I really could care less less what it looks like in between. To look at the difference in our two properties, it is easy to figure out who takes care of their stuff and who is the pig. Perry bentcajungirl

neighbor. Previous owner of my house down there apparently put the stockade fence a foot into neighbor's yard. Neighbor wanted to tear down the fence and replace it with cyclone fence, which my father (who occupies the house) detests. Not wanting to get involved in a long feud, I told my father to just hire a couple guys and move the fence, if neighbor agreed. They exchanged a few frosty notes with each other, but then neighbor apparently forgot about it, and the fence is where it always was.
In the case of a pissy neighbor, rather than fence with a DMZ that requires upkeep, I'd plant a fencerow of fast-growing pines trees or something, so I didn't have to look at him or hear him, with some sort of no-mow groundcover between the tree line and the property line. If he doesn't cut between his fence and the line, the ground cover will eventually take over the space.
aem sends...
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:27:42 -0500, "bentcajungirl"

Then, if I were you, I'd spend a couple of bucks extra and get a current survey...especially if you can't see the survey stakes.

Again, I'm assuming that, when you say all this, yer not guessin'...that you can actually see the survey stakes.

Again...be careful of young kids and dogs when you do this. Dogs have a habit of eating grass when they're ill. You should try to spray only your side of the DMZ...if you think your neighbor might have animal visitors.

I'm sure he'll be calling the city at the first sign of a tall weed on his side of your fence! lol

I *REALLY* understand THAT statement!
Good luck.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.
"Trent" continued to flog a dead horse with his "mostly" wrong opinion(s):

Enough Trent. Perhaps the cat meat is fogging your senses.
-- TJ
In spewed forth and said:

just get a couple of bundles of comp shingles and lay them out overlapping them.
Nothing will grow
"Trent" wrote:

Zat where and how you trap those edible felines Trent? Stick to that. Advising folks about permits, zoning codes, etc, is not your forte'.

Hi Perry - (fancy finding you over here :-) )
I would keep the fence 1' on your side of the property as you described and at the same time, I would plant some bamboo on the grump's side of your fence. Let it go - let it grow. It would more than likely look a *lot* better as a backdrop to your new fence - shield some noise over the top, and act as a great divider amongst the "ones who care - and the ones that don't).
Let us know how it comes out.
Jim Mc Namara
Good idea Jim, I like the idea of bamboo, had been thinking of it for a noise backdrop for another situation, but it will be perfect. There was some testerone posturing on WW so I am lurking and grinning for the time being. Getting ready to start practicing my dovetails soon. Perry bentcajungirl
wrote in message:

LOL! You don't reckon the "sawdust in the bra" thread had anything to do with the testosterone levels rocketing . . . do ya? LOL!
I think the bamboo would make a good "break" in the atmosphere. The grump gets to see the "stalky" stuff - you get the vision of the pretty green above. ;-)
Take care.
Jim
bentcajungirl wrote:

Easy.
Build the fence. Give your neighbor a bill for half of the cost of the shared portion.*
Settle the case by allowing him to remove his ratty chicken-wire.
*Before anybody starts screaming, this is well-settled law. To avoid paying half of the cost of the fence, the neighbor must object at the first opportunity. The two legal principles involved here are unjust enrichment and consent by silence.

What are you smokin'? I want some of that!! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Help keep down the world population...have your partner spayed or neutered.
"Trent" wrote:

Gee Trent. 12 of your "mostly" wrong posts later in this thread, you digress to that which you probably know something about.
-- TJ

Fat chance! The fence is built on your side of the property line - it's your fence and ain't no neighbor gonna be paying for half of it.
Smokin' indeed
Renata

"Trent" wrote:

Wrong again Trent. You insist on generalizing about an entire country with hundreds of thousands of jurisdictions and different/varying zoning codes each.

Wrong again Trent. You insist on generalizing about an entire country with hundreds of thousands of jurisdictions and different/varying permit requirements for each.

"Mostly" wrong again Trent. You like hearing yourself talk don't you?
-- TJ