Installing fence

I am having a 6' wooden fence put up in my grandson's backyard. There is a gas line that runs where a post would go by the side of his brick house. Can I attach the fence to the house without a post?

Reply to
Dommie

Sure, anchor a proper sized board to the wall and attach the fence to it. Depending on the material, simple angle brackets could do the job.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Some will say that attaching a fence directly to a house isn't a good idea since seasonal movement may be different between the two items. Is that an overblown concern? Maybe, but it's a possibility.

In addition, there may be trim in the way or something else that prevents a nice looking transition from house to fence. In your case, considering it's a brick house, maybe you want to avoid a direct connection just because attaching *anything* to a brick house takes a bit more care and expertise. Doable, sure, but what if there was a viable alternative? Such as...

Depending on where the gas line is, an option that is sometimes used is to put the post 6", 1', 2', whatever, away from the house and then run your fence past the post right up to the house without actually attaching it to the house. Up to a certain point, a small amount of "extension" shouldn't be an issue.

Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of packing my van for a fence install this weekend. Vinyl, not wood. We got about 1/3 done a couple of weekends ago. This weekend should be interesting. We have to put a post right in the middle of an asphalt driveway. My daughter's boyfriend (it's her house) works for his dad's concrete company. Driveways, sidewalks, even counter tops. He assures me that he and his dad have a plan for the driveway post. I hope so.

We had to trim the bottoms of about 120 pickets, at various lengths, to keep the tops level. We will probably have to do the same on the other side.

Marilyn Manson

I also don't like putting holes in the walls of my house, even if it's between the bricks.

You beat me to it.

What can the plan be? To pave right over it!

Let us know how this goes.

But the tops are not level!!

Reply to
micky