Feds: Gut homes with Chinese drywall

Page 2 of 2

*+-Sorry, gotta call BS on this one. Every year on my trip to Lake Charles, *+-in SW Louisiana, I get to see the inside of several residential new *+-construction sites. All wood. Yes, termites are a problem down there,
Thanks. THis is what the engineers who gave the PDH course on steel studs told us. However, they said "won't insure" - are you sure they are insured?
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

wives. (and construction costs in LA are cheap compared to other parts of country.) Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is insurance coverage before ground is broken.
--
aem sends...

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 02:14:39 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

They uses wood studs in all load bearing stud walls in the houses around here (SW Florida) and they all get insurance with no problems. The steel studs are only used in partition walls. Termite treatment is required on the dirt under the slabs
On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:36:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Perhaps the confusion is that homeowner's insurance doesn't cover termite damage. That's true above the Mason Dixon line too.
*+->On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 02:14:39 +0000 (UTC),
*+->>*+-Sorry, gotta call BS on this one. Every year on my trip to Lake Charles, *+->>*+-in SW Louisiana, I get to see the inside of several residential new *+->>*+-construction sites. All wood. Yes, termites are a problem down there, *+->> *+->>Thanks. THis is what the engineers who gave the PDH course on steel *+->>studs told us. However, they said "won't insure" - are you sure they *+->>are insured?*+-> *+->They uses wood studs in all load bearing stud walls in the houses *+->around here (SW Florida) and they all get insurance with no problems. *+->The steel studs are only used in partition walls. *+->Termite treatment is required on the dirt under the slabs *+-Perhaps the confusion is that homeowner's insurance doesn't cover termite *+-damage. That's true above the Mason Dixon line too.
Well, these guys were from NYC and the got a contract to build studs for Katrina, so maybe their view of "down south" was limited by what the people they were working with told them.
The other thing is I've seen ads in Structural Engineer for a hybrid steel stud that had pressboard over it.
They told us steel studs cost more but since remnants can be recycled, they turn out net cheaper than wood.
By eye, I'd say about half the buildings I see being built in NYC are steel stud. I hear ads all the time by General, Anthem, and Nucor on the financial radio station for steel buildings. And there is even a Metal Construction trade rag.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2 ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 00:45:41 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Maybe, but steel studs are not structural. Maybe the hybrid is, but I wouldn't trust it.

The partitions may use steel studs, the load bearing walls certainly aren't. IIRC, NYC is kinda unique in that they still require BX wiring, so steel studs aren't a big deal.

That's where the fault should lie (and would if it were a US company involved), though the US is too spineless to force the issue.

What's a trillion or two more?

Likely.
Don't worry, be happy. Our grand children will pay for our party.
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:42:14 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The solution is simple.........
NUKE CHINA
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 23:38:00 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myspace.com wrote:

...and then they nuke DC. Hey, wait...

When my 18 month old grandson starts to cry, I tell him "Don't cry now, wait to you see your share of the debt." -- Doug

Kinda sloppy reporting by the AP (as usual). Before gutting one's house, a simple chemical test of the drywall should be done first.
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:36:14 -0700 (PDT), mike

If you actually have a real drywall house you won't need some fancy test. You will know. This is a compendium of pictures I took here in Florida with the houses my friend repaired
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Chinese%20Drywall /
The reality is if you are not in Florida or Louisiana (and a few isolated cases in Virginia) you probably don't have chinese drywall. I bet it would all trace back to a couple ships that landed in Tampa or Miami and spread out from there. The bulk of it got used in Florida but in those days they were desperate for drywall and someone may have trucked a load somewhere else but the confirmed cases are pretty rare anywhere but Florida and Louisiana

You need to do some research of the issue, especially for FL homeowners before making such an erroneous statement.
I suppose they see the repair work as stimulus.
Questions: someone here said a few months ago that USA made drywall also had the same problem? Gypsum is calcium sulfide. I then speculated the wood chips produced methane and formaldehyde, reacting to release sulfur. Is there an alternate hypothesis? WHy did they add woodchips? Someone here also noted that Chinese drywall had 3% asbestos while USA mandates were under 1%. Anything more detailed than that newsclip?