Chinese drywall

Be careful what you specify -- or FAIL to specify.

Chandler Knowles

Before you get your panties all in a knot, I heard the same complaints when Canada allowed American made drywall into our country as an "equal". Our codes and standards were intentionally degraded to allow that southern junk in the country as it wasn't as stiff or dense as Canadian made drywall. But then again the Free Trade Agreement trumps wisdom. As much as our southern neighbours would like to believe, the US does not have the corner on quality made items!

Reply to
Roarmeister

Here is more

story was in the TCPalm newspapers back on Dec 24th 2008

Chandler Knowles

That's another issue. CK brought up a subject of a potentially harmful product. I do not know if there's merit in the claim, but in any event that's different than an issue of slightly lower performance.

The gypsum in gypsum board is not nearly as dense as the mineral. It has to do with the manufacturing process, the hydration (where the water is what provides a lot of the fire resistive properties of drywall), and regulations on energy consumption that affected the manufacturing process.

I'll tell you what, when you resume exporting that nice old-growth, tight-grained lumber south of the border, we'll resume shipping the nice old dense drywall up your way. Deal? ;)

RicodJour

We'd love too but you guys aren't building and buying much lately. Seems like all our good timber goes south...

Reply to
Roarmeister

If the Chinese drywall is a harmful product (too high of a level of hydrogen sulphate?) and corroding pipes etc. then it begs the question of who is monitoring products coming into the country? How did it get on the market if the US drywall industry or UL or whomever was not examing the quality of the product coming in to country and onto the retailers shelves?

Reply to
Roarmeister

Um, an unaccountable entity with a monopoly on force?

How did it get

Reply to
creative1986

I think I read somewhere that only 5% of containers get examined in port. Anyone know much about regulation of imports in the past decade?

Reply to
++

Saw something on a 60 Minutes type show a few years ago that spotlighted all sorts of issues, not surprisingly. As far as I'm concerned the contents of the containers is the sole business of the container owner(s).

Reply to
creative1986