Federal Pacific Electric Stabloc

I rarely come across Federal Pacific panels here in Alabamastan and any problems with them are the same problems that affect other brands of circuit breaker panels. I see dirt and the biggest problem, corrosion of the area where the breaker makes electrical contact with the buss. In new construction or remodels I will often use contact cleaners to get the construction dust off the connections. Something like Ideal Noalox can be used to re-lube the the contacts. On a lot of service calls I find corrosion and a soft bristle or brass bristle brush along with a spray electrical cleaner will clean it up. In some cases the stab is burnt and melted making it useless which is why I have kept old panels in past years so I could swap out the buss bars. Sometimes a new panel is less expensive than ordering new replacement buss bars if the old panel has a lot of damage. I have seen FP replacement breakers at our local big box hardware stores.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thank you for taking the time to research that for me. Did you see that breaker is $35. I doubt he has enough money to buy all new breakers, there are 20 or so in the panel. And a couple double breakers, too. That would get pricey.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One friend, their lights would flicker now and again. Finally, one evening we pulled the panel box open, the power came in through a double 100 breaker. Same design as the other breakers, but it was inlet. Turned the breaker off, pried it out of the box (very dificult, as it was corroded on) and wire brushed the bus bar tabs. Which were corroded. Apply No-Al-Ox and put back together.

I tried Noalox on threads of a Mag light, but weeks later could not get the tail cap off. Ended up using two pipe wrenches to open the cap of the mag light. The Noalox had etched the metal, and I could see it pitted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

RBM: Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

EXT: Your post appeared, but was not available on server. Please send it again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The panel is flush in the wall, but Tim doesn't sound concerned. He's going to make it happen some how, I'm sure. He just got finished building porch addition to the trailer, so circuit panel won't be too hard.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are they any worse than the ones typically used in homes? I don't think I've ever seen "spec grade" receps in any house unless I put them in myself.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

So, are you saying that it makes more sense to replace a Stabloc, than to buy all new breakers?

.

That is exactly what I posted as my primary reason for replacing a FPE panel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon