Federal Pacific Fuse Panel

I have a Federal Pacific fuse panel. I don't have problems with the panel. But, it is a split bus panel. Should the panel be replaced if I am not having problems? It's a 200 amp panel.

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
TrailRunner

If it's a fuse panel, you may want to upgrade to a circuit breaker panel just for the convenience

Reply to
RBM

TrailRunner posted for all of us...

Maybe

Reply to
Tekkie®

The problem with any split buss panel is that unless ONLY conscientious professionals are doing work in it, it has the potential to overload the main feeder

Reply to
RBM

In my opinion if it says Federal Pacific on the cover it should be replaced.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

imho:

Don't fix what isn't broken. Unlike beakers, many fuses are quicker to act/protect in over current conditions. So fuses are used more often in sensitive equipement today.

However in residential conditions, people often defeat the protection of a fuse with the addition of a penny or foil, so many insurance companies charge higher rates for fused panels, and some might want you to upgrade.

So check with your insurance company, you don't want it slipping through the cracks that you have a fused panel, and later having the company say they wont cover for an accident.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Actually the really old Federal Pacific equipment wasn't bad. I don't know when they started making Walmart style equipment though.

Reply to
George