Federal Pacific Electric Stabloc

Today I discovered that a friend (who I value) lives in a trailer, with a Federal Pacific Electric Stabloc breaker panel. Who can spot why this might be a concern? What is the reccomended course of action?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Considering that there are hundreds of thousands of similar panels out there, why should there be a course of action? It's an old and crappy panel, but unless you find any particular defect in it, just leave it alone.

Reply to
RBM

If it's a trailer it shouldn't be a very big panel. I'd bet you could replace it with a top of the line QO panel and breakers for perhaps $100. Cheap peace of mind given just how crappy the bus connection is on those stab-loc panels. Much higher quality breakers as well given the propensity of the stab-loc breakers to fail.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Top Poster Too

nicknamed the fire starter federal pacific falsified test data to get UL approval and ultimately went out of business.

the panels were poor quality and tended to catch on fire, worse the breakers often dont trip on a overload, or once a breaker trips once is like 30% less likely to EVER trip again.

That panel is a severe fire hazard, and should be replaced immediately.

many homeowners insurance companies refuse to insure homes with FP panels.

if you doubt any of this just google it

Reply to
bob haller

Check for condition. As long as there is no sign of arcing/overheating where the breakers clip on leave well enough alone.

Reply to
clare

QO breakers fail too. The recommendations I'm getting up here - most electricians are using Seimens

Reply to
clare

FPE was sold to Reliance Electric and is still being made (and apparently reliable) in Canada. FPE falsified data to continue UL listing before it was sold to Reliance.

There were problems with some of the breakers FPE made. The CPSC started an investigation which turned up problems but the investigation was dropped (probably not based on merit). Specific problems were some breakers not tripping at 130% of rated load and some 2-pole breakers jamming where the overload was not equal on both legs. Far as I know the problem covered breakers produced in a particular time span - which you can't identify.

There were also problems with screwed together busses.

The usual overstatement. Panels may or may not be OK (other than being "crappy"). If I had one I would replace it. I believe Cutler Hammer used to make replacement 'guts'.

Reply to
bud--

They are unsafe.

to be taken out, and replaced with a newer, safer panel.

.

Considering that there are hundreds of thousands of similar panels out there, why should there be a course of action? It's an old and crappy panel, but unless you find any particular defect in it, just leave it alone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For sure! Glad someone else knew.

.

If it's a trailer it shouldn't be a very big panel. I'd bet you could replace it with a top of the line QO panel and breakers for perhaps $100. Cheap peace of mind given just how crappy the bus connection is on those stab-loc panels. Much higher quality breakers as well given the propensity of the stab-loc breakers to fail.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course, some people replace the receptacles, and put in better quality ones. The mobile home builders use the cheapest ones they can find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was trolling, knew all that already. You are so, so right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My friend isn't taking any chances, the panel box is being replaced in the next few days.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm sure if you search, you'll find similar opinions of many breakers and panels. I'm all for changing any crappy panel including FPE, Frank Adams, Zinsco, Bulldog pushmatic, to name a few. FPE was made in Newark, NJ so my area of downstate NY is crawling with their equipment. I personally have seen more burnouts in Murray panels, a well respected brand then I've seen in crappy FPE panels, in my 40 years as an electrician. I have never seen any fire related to a FPE panel or breaker, including ones that have failed. IMO the primary reason to replace FPE equipment is that their breakers now cost about 5 times what every other manufacturer charges.

Reply to
RBM

When I start seeing failures with my QO installations I'll consider using something else.

They seem to be good but not as readily available around here.

Reply to
Pete C.

Modern replacement breakers are available to fit the "Stab-loc" boxes. If your friend can't afford a new box + inspection fees for disconnecting/connecting the service, new breakers might be the ticket.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

On 12/25/2011 3:40 PM, bob haller wrote: ...

There are listed 3rd-party replacemsnts locally for about the same as others I've seen here not terribly long ago...I don't recall the manufacturer otomh, just noticed did have 'em. I've a stash OEM's from before the series that got FPE in trouble so haven't actually need replacements.

The Canadian replacements are pretty dear, granted.

--

Reply to
dpb

FPE still sells (or did up untill about 3 months ago) panels in Canada

- there are hundreds of thousands of them in use, and only an VERY few fires caused by them - and their failure rate here is about on par with the Square D breakers. Both can be problematic - but if inspected and found sound, there is no reason to replace the panel. Replacement breakers that DO work reliably are available - and have been for 10 or more years.

Reply to
clare

That could be a labor saver. Do you have a URL? I havn't heard of such.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just google "fedral pacific circuit breaker" you'll get a bizillion of them. Here is one:

RBM