Fastening Corrugated Metal Roofing

I have a lean-to that was originally covered with that cheap translucent green corrugated fiberglass material. It's leaking pretty bad. I've got friends who want to keep stuff in this lean-to and they're volunteering to put up steel if I buy the materials.
My pole barn is probably 20 years old and has the steel fastened through the ribs. Newer pole barns have the steel fastened through the valleys.
How are the kids doing it these days, and which way is "right?"
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote: ...

Strictly "right" depends on the actual material used; strangely enough the manufacturer will have that information available.
✖
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:55:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Maybe its just me- but I'd say "You buy the materials and I'll put it up." Roofing isn't a lot of fun, but I'd be damned if I'd buy as roof for somebody else to mess up so they could put their stuff in my shed.

Once you pick out the roof- ask for an installation flyer or visit the manufacturer's website.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

I would think the nails go as far away from the underlaying material as possible. If in the valley, water running down the valley has many, many places to leak through.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 15, 1:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Are you using R-panel or corrugated? R-panel is fastened in the valleys with rubber washered screws, Traditionally Corrugated is fastened with nails on the ridge, but what a pain in the ass. It might not be bad with a nail gun, or even with long screws. The main deciding factor is the material you are screwing into, wood and metal take different screws.
Add pictures here
✖