Exterior Block Home Painting Questions

I have just finished pressure washing my block/stucco/wood home. While pressure washing the block, some of the old paint came completely off down to the bare block. Do I need to prime the areas that are bare or can I just paint over it?
I'm using Glidden acrylic latex paint.
I'm painting the house with a roller and brushes were needed. (I know spraying is easier, blah, blah, blah) I'm using a roller. What is the easiest way to roll the bottom of the house where it goes into the ground?
I've thought about stuffing either cardboard or visqueen (plastic) between the ground and the house.
Is there an easier way?
This is the original paint from 1984, btw.
I'd prime it with latex and weed-eat by the house first, down to dirt, before rolling.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's as low-as-it-will-go...........But there needs to be something there to keep the dirt off of the roller.
Ron wrote:

Good reason for using a sprayer :o) Our condo is concrete block/stucco, and when it was pressure washed the contractor moved soil away from foundation so that the paint could be applied below ground level. That is to have continuous coating that isn't peeling along a visible bottom edge when moisture gets under it.
Prime bare spots, for sure.
Ron wrote:

Dig out a trench.
--