error code on oven

I have a GE self cleaning oven ( built in) that suddenly started beeping in the middle of the night with an "F7 error". After rebooting the oven, the "error" returned. I had the control panel checked out but all seems fine. Elements are both okay. I have searched the web for a description of the error code but found nothing. Need some help before I change every part in the damm unit.
Thanks, Dave

breaker and leave it off for several minutes before turning it back on to reset it. ==
Did that (rebooting), but it would eventually come back with the F7 error
Szeifried wrote:

You need to reformat you oven and install Linux.

(less than 10 minutes), it doesn't work. ===>

Left it off for a day.
I had the same type of problem with my Whirlpool oven. The first time I tried the self-clean feature, it shut down with an F7 error that wouldn't go away. I had to have the circuit board replaced....talked Whirlpool into a free part, but had to pay to have it installed as it was just off warranty. But, you might try this fix first. http://fixitnow.com/2003/08/mailbag-f7-error-code-on-ge-built-in.htm
Had GE XL44 with the same error code a month ago. Tried resetting it. F7 would not go away. The error code I didn't mind. It is the constant beeping I couldn't stand. Later I pulled the ribbon connector for the display with the oven plugged in. So the clock is now frozen at the time I pulled it. Guess I lost the oven until I replace the display unit. At least the range still works.
This is the third time the code occurred. I reset it the two previous times. Needless to say warranty period expired. I am just not ready to plunk down $100 and change to get a new display. I think the oven cost us around $800. Maybe I'll relent in Christmas.

All this does is convince me to NEVER buy an oven with a processor in it. It's a fucking oven. How "smart" does it have to be? I find it is the same way with Microwaves. The oven part never breaks, it is always the clock. The one we had in our office ended up with a spring wound timer, drilled into the touch pad. Just be sure you don't defeat any of the interlocks.
Don't think you have a choice in that matter. Unless you are willing to scout Ebay and the antique market for strictly mechanical ovens. That may not fit so well in your brand new 2006 state of the art kitchen.

dryer. I have a 1970s oven that works fine. Every 10 years or so I have to change an element. No big deal. John
Your 1970's oven is 30 some years old my friend. It may work very well with no code but how does it look? If only the car company can make cars that last this long. But again, they may already gone bankrupt if they do.
says...

Want my 1960 GE electric oven? Elements getting a leeetle tired, takes a while to reach temperature, but the thermostat still holds and the mechanical timers still work. Did its last Thanksgiving turkey last week. Unless someone wants it....
It's white. Well, OK, it's antique white. It *was* white. Now it's antique white. Where the enamel is still retained...
But it's guaranteed NEVER to give you an error code :-)
Honestly, though - would there be interest in a verry tired 1960 GE electrical wall oven in Ebay or elsewhere?
Banty
Someone:

Agree and this sounds very similar to the 'oven trouble' that my neighbour encountered. She is a very experienced and accomplished baker/cook etc. The neighbours finally got 'pi**ed off' put the stove in the garage and finally gave it away as 'unreliable'. While we still use an older style stove we have also retained a couple of clock timers from scrapped stoves. Up to a while ago it was possible to buy a cheaper modern stove (from 'Future Shop' IIRC) not equipped with any timer at all; we used one in a school kitchen. Very simple especially since stove was attended all the time we were there! So timer was not needed anyway. Other suggestion could be that there is/are noise spikes etc. and/or power 'bumps' on the power line that disrupt the electronic timer operation. Such things as a neighbour welding, artesian well pump cutting in etc. might be the type of thing?
If you google
oven "F7 error"
just as typed, you'll get lotsa hits, think a few had explanations.
Dave
"Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side, and a light side, and it binds the universe together"
I've also had this problem with my GE oven. I've read up on it a bit and found that the most common clause is a bad connection of the ribbon cable behind the control panel. One guy said he cleaned the contact area of the cable with a pencil eraser and the problem went away.
I tried this, but the contacts were clean. I wiggled the ribbon cable a bit and turned the power back on. The problem went away for a few weeks, but then came back. I've still not fixed it. It comes and goes intermittantly.
It's been doing it since it was 1 year old, but I'm the 2nd owner of the house and doubt I have any recourse with warranty. I also have a home warranty, but it charges $50. I may end up just doing that and leaving the problem up to the repair folks. Pay your $50 once and it's their problem from then on.

Hi,

Model#?
F7 is often a sign of a stuck key panal.
Some info... http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&P6
Thanks, Took it all apart and reconnected it back. Not Beeping anymore, all seems to be working fine. Still have my fingers crossed. D