Electronic Kenmore refrigerator not working, what does this sign mean

Page 1 of 2

I have an electronic Kenmore refrigerator 596.50013100. I bought it from a private party over a year ago and it has been working great until now. It seems very well made, overall.
Yesterday it started beeping and displaying a strange trouble signal:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Kenmore-Trouble.jpg
It is right above the word "Kenmore", is red and looks like a crossed lock and an exclamation.
The temperature in the unit has been rising since then and clearly, it is not cooling anything. Right now both freezer and fridge are at 46 degrees F.
I tried calling Kenmore, but could only speak to dummies who are forbidden to give any diagnostics.
My question is WTF does this sign mean? It is meant to tell me something.
Thanks
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:24:16 -0500, Ignoramus20906

Don't know, but it's obviously a bar across a thermometer symbol. Could mean anything from "it ain't cooling" (Duh.) to the thermocouple/thermopile/temperature sensor's dirty. Manual ought to say if you can find one. Good luck.
Pete Keillor

Pete, the manual is here:
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Kenmore-596.50013100-Manual.pdf
but it is not saying anything.
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:32:05 -0500, Ignoramus20906

Yup, that's pretty useless. Maybe there's a service manual, but a cursory google didn't turn up anything useful. There's still stuff you could inspect, like is the compressor running, and are the coils dirty. Since it's showing the temperature, it probably isn't the temperature sensor.
Pete Keillor
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:32:05 -0500, Ignoramus20906

Check the condenser fan motor (under the grill at the back most likely). Those things tend to be weak, even a barely motivated dust bunny can stop them from turning. I had it happen to my fridge recently. The fan motor would only start if I gave it a little help. Dismantled the motor (not designed to be serviceable, but no sweat), cleaned and reassembled, and it worked fine for a week until the new one came. About $30 delivered. If you discover that the fan is the culprit and can't get it going while waiting for the replacement, then just aim a portable fan so that it moves air across the coils.
Wayne
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 18:24:16 -0500, Ignoramus20906

This may be of some assistance in determining your code.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/repairtips/repairtips_appliance+fault+codes.aspx#Sears%20/%20Kenmore%20Fault%20Codes
It gives a listing of who actually made your applience, so you can then look for their trouble codes
Gunner
On 08/31/2010 04:24 PM, Ignoramus20906 wrote:

That's a picture of an English bobby. Obviously the food's been rioting and they've hauled the compressor of to quod.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

If they last 5 years....
On 8/31/2010 6:24 PM, Ignoramus20906 wrote:

Well it may just be the picture, but it looks like the freezer is set to 45 degrees.
--
Steve Barker

It is not "set" to 45 degrees, what was displayed is the current temperature.
Here are my findings:
1) The condenser fan is running fine 2) The compressor motor buzzes, then overload stops it, to restart in a few minutes 3) The compressor motor is HOT 4) Inside of the relay does not look burned.
I see four possibilities:
1) The capacitor is bad 2) Something in the relay assembly is bad (unlikely, since this seems to be a run capacitor). 3) Somehow the compressor cannot pump, due to problems with cooling coils or whatever other internal blockage 4) [the most dreaded possibility] the compressor is seized.
To eliminate 1-2, I have ordered a new capacitor and a new relay assembly (since I broke some holding plastic lugs when removing it). The cost was relatively small ($34.95 for everything with shipping).
Hopefully, I will get that stuff around Monday (they are in CA, I am in IL).
We can live with it, because it is our second (garage) fridge, and we also have a upright freezer.
If that does not help, I would expect this to become an expensive repair, and I would have to call a tech to replace the compressor, or even junk the fridge.
On Aug 31, 5:24pm, Ignoramus20906 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20906.invalid> wrote:

I'm confused, if its electronic then it would be thermo-electric, and not have a condenser, evaporator, or compressor. But as you have indicated it has these. So I'm guessing the electronic, is the electronic thermostat only. You indicated the compressor is hot. Sounds like the start relay is fubar, and some current limit does not trip a clicks-on switch. And start relay is now a misnomer as these have been replaced with thermistors. Most likely this is the faulted device. There should be a wiring diagram on the back side of this refrigerator, hope it does. If it's a defrost problem the diagram would show this circuit. ignator

Electronic control panel with pretty buttons.

Yes.
Yes, there is a thermistor puck inside the relay assembly.

On 8/31/2010 10:47 PM, Ignoramus20906 wrote:

I had the same problem recently, its the overload relay, actually thermistors as previously noted.
This thread is for a different model but will help
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/sears-kenmore/742-kenmore-sxs-fridge-bad-relay-compressor.html
Your part would seem to be:-
http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory 07740&imgID=3&Page=1&SourceCode=7
replacement fixed mine , still running 12 months later.
JC

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/sears-kenmore/742-kenmore-sxs-fridge-bad-relay-compressor.html
http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory 07740&imgID=3&Page=1&SourceCode=7

Archon,
I hope fervently that you are right. I bought those parts:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id@13414 Part Number: AP4074064 http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id@74064 Part Number: AP4013414
Shipped from CA to IL, I will probably get them on Monday. I am very anxious.
On Aug 31, 10:43pm, Ignoramus20906 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20906.invalid> wrote:

I didn't see any response to Bill's suggestion about the freezer not defrosting (I have had this happen-timer can also fail while defrosting, heat the freezer, defrost everything and melt plastic!)
On Aug 31, 5:24pm, Ignoramus20906 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20906.invalid> wrote:

I'm confused, if its electronic then it would be thermo-electric, and not have a condenser, evaporator, or compressor. But as you have indicated it has these. So I'm guessing the electronic, is the electronic thermostat only. You indicated the compressor is hot. Sounds like the start relay is fubar, and some current limit does not trip a clicks-on switch. And start relay is now a misnomer as these have been replaced with thermistors. Most likely this is the faulted device. There should be a wiring diagram on the back side of this refrigerator, hope it does. If it's a defrost problem the diagram would show this circuit. ignator
On Aug 31, 7:24pm, Ignoramus20906 <ignoramus20...@NOSPAM. 20906.invalid> wrote:

Reboot and call me in the morning. -----
- gpsman