Concrete cutting blade

Can a circular saw use a concrete cutting blade to then cut concrete blocks?

Reply to
SBH

Yes. I bought a couple diamond blades for my ancient B&D 7 1/4" saw years ago. They eat through block or old concrete. They dissolve if you hit re-rod.

mine is something like this-

The dust is horrific. I've tried taping my shopvac nozzle where it does the most good. Works OK. . .sort of. . .

But one time I got brave, plugged in to a GFCI outlet, and dribbled water from a hose right where the blade meets the cement. That's a winner. I doubt the water is as bad for the bearings as the dust was-- but I'd use a 'sacrificial' saw for the job. Get one at a garage sale for $10.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yes, a masonry blade will but a concrete block. It will also generate a butt ton of highly abrasive dust, which will work wonders with your circular saw.

Wear a good particle mask and get a cheap circular saw. Do it outside, where the wind will carry the dust somewhere away from mammals.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

A little more controllable, perhaps, would be an angle grinder with a masonry blade.

Reply to
HeyBub

I see mexicans doing this all the time for pavers, my neighbor had a walk way put in, the dust made was a cloud 50ft x25x25, it was real nasty and bad for the tool and people breathing it. Renting some sort of wet saw is the only way to go.

Reply to
ransley

I disagree & I've tried both. The angle grinder gives less control, won't cut as deep, and is just as dusty. The up side is- you can usually get an angle grinder for $12 at harbor freight- a saw will set you back $30.

But speaking of HF--- anybody used the multitool to cut block? That should gain you control-- and have way less dust.

Jim [no job is worth doing if it doesn't involve buying a new tool]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

yes, i just did this yesterday with a 7" dewalt blade made for that purpose. Made a window into a man door on a concrete block garage.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Some granite installers were putting in kitchen fancy stuff. Most all was granite tops cut at the shop.

Watched the HMFIC, cut granite trim with a 4" angle grinder. A diamond blade and by using a wet tile spong near the blade. The sponge trick kept the dust down. It was a nice job from that crew. Some cuts have to be done on the job.

Reply to
Oren

A brick mason's hammer? I could cut a cinder block with one.

Even try a chisel and hammer.

(paraphrased)

Michelangelo? Why are you hammering that stone?

There's an Angel in there and I'm trying to get him out.

Reply to
Oren

That's a skill I've never been able to acquire. I have never done much masonry- but can get by in a pinch. I can break bricks and blocks into smaller pieces-- but never have been able to get them to break where I want them to. [though I've learned that block can be mortared back together fairly easily]

I've had a little better luck with an air-chisel. But I still cut them. . . dust be damned.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I've only worked around block masons. These guys could take a hand trowel-- break a cinder block and move on. These folks carved the cinder block. Made it what they wanted. It worked.

It is a talent.

Reply to
Oren

"Oren" wrote

Or if you do anything 10,000 times, you get the hang of it.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

Visit

you like this web site

"SBH" wrote in message news:4_SdnRbNCMLMF-DRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@wow.com... Can a circular saw use a concrete cutting blade to then cut concrete blocks?