small nick in Formica counter top

A cousin put a small (twice the size of a pin head) nick in my wife's new "linen" color counter top. Has anyone had success in patching such nicks with the "Counter Top Repair Kits" that are sold? I've done small repair and remodling and drywall work but not formica. Thanks!

Reply to
EvenStephen

I have had luck by finding a similarly colored epoxy, putting that in, and then CAREFULLY routing the excess off until flush. It all depends on the coloration, size, shape, and location.

Steve

read about heart surgery and how to prepare for it at:

Steve B

If it=92s linen color you may be able to use dental epoxy on it. See your dentist for that.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Been there , done that. The firm that made our kitchen counter top has lots of matching patch fillers. Try a Formica counter top maker. WW

Reply to
WW

I have a formica countertop. It is not glossy... it is dark blue with various other shades mixed in. I used acrylic paint - the kind that comes in little bottles that you can buy at Michaels and Walmarts. I had used it for something else. I dabbed it on.... and you can barely see the place I covered. The formica is thin so it doesn't take much to fill in. And it did not wash off. Surprised me.

Reply to
Dottie

This has worked well for me on pin-sized defects: use a rotary tool to grind the color coat from a scrap of matching formica; clean the defect; put a drop of crazy glue [or epoxy] in the defect; sprinkle with the matching dust or daub the dust into the glue with your finger [I've never gotten this to "paint" with a brush]; let cure; sand lightly; wax.

Reply to
John Keiser

I stabbed mine with a steak knife. I did not want water to get in there so I quickly used nail polish. That was about 4 months ago and it gets washed several times per day. I forgot it was there until this topic popped up.

Reply to
Thomas