Electronic Igniters On Outdoor Grils: How Necessary ?

Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift. Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ? how important ?

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match, or... ?

BTW: The Vermont Castings Brand seems to offer a bit more than the Webers that you see in all the stores. Any opinions on ?

thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

Now there's a concept: a must-have option.

If it was necessary, it wouldn't be an option, now would it?

Hardly at all. It's convenient -- right up until the time it quits working, which, if you use the grill much, won't be terribly long.

Any ignition source will work, but a match is the easiest. Light the match

*first*, then insert the lighed match through the lighting hole. Then turn on the gas.

Doug Miller

now i haven't looked to see which grills don't have it but if the cheap ones have it, the expensive ones must. i'd think.

however, since they fail in no time, you'll need to get a hand-held igniter anyway. matches aren't the best if it's ever windy in your area. ...thehick

Reply to
frank-in-toronto

I've not seen a grillwithout one in years. They are safer than trying to get a match to the burner from either top or bottom of the grill. Older ones failed often, but the newer ones seem to be very reliable.

Doubt you will find a gas grill that does not have one.

Weber make a great grill and has many happy customers. I have a VC and thought it was a better buy. There are many good brands at the $400+ level.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If it's too windy to light a match, it's probably too windy to grill, too.

Doug Miller

Having done it both ways, I would not buy one, especially one in the $400 range, I would not buy one without it. I wonder how many good ones don't come with one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My grill is going on 3 years now and the igniter still works fine. I can't even remember the last time I saw a grill that didn't have one. I find it quite handy.

You have to go pretty cheap not to get one, so it sounds like you'll get one whether you want to or not.

Reply to
Noozer

I wouldn't say that -- I have experienced a number of days where there was enough of a breeze to make it nearly impossible to get a lit match >however, since they fail in no time, you'll need to get a

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

I have a Vermont Castings three burner. I absolutely love it. It is easy to regulate heat. The thing is heavy and holds the heat in. The porcelain grates are easy, just wire brush them, and spray with Pam before cooking.

But the one thing I like the most is the "clicker". It has worked FIRST time, EVERY time so far. I would suggest this barbecuer to anyone. I have a cheaper one at my rental, and I have to supply those long butane lighter sticks and hope someone doesn't burn off their eyebrows. I think I will be springing for a new Vermont Castings grill for over there soon.

It says quality from the first time you lift the heavy lid. I paid $400, but don't anticipate having to buy anothe barbecue in my lifetime. Up till now, I've owned about six. Get the nice cover at Lowe's and keep care of it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote in news:RX4fe.33194$_K.29366@fed1read03:

FYI,the "clicker" is a PIEZO-electric spark generator,it's not "electronic".

Squeeze a crystal and it generates a voltage pulse.Stack the crystals for higher voltages.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

And, unless you are all thumbs, they are not that hard to "adjust" if the sparking electrode gets bumped out of place or to change out completely with a low cost "universal" replacement.

I've never had to change one. The only problems I've had over many years were electrodes which got shifted too far away from "ground" to spark.

Since I quit smoking 11 years ago and nobody else in the house smokes either it isn't always that easy to find a match when you need one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Mine have always failed. Of my grill gets heavy usage. They come standard on all grills that I have seen sold in the last 10 years.

I have never replace one. I use the gun type butane lighter to light my grill. I go up though the air hole in the bottom. Lighting from the top can result in no arm hair. Propane is slighly heavier then air. The nice thing about the gun style ligher is that it keeps lighting the grill even after it is out of gas. The spark is all you need.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

e·lec·tron·ic adj. 1. Of or relating to electrons. 2. Of, relating to, based on, operated by, or otherwise involving the controlled conduction of electrons or other charge carriers, especially in a vacuum, gas, or semiconducting material. 3. Of or relating to electronics.

I guess it qualifies as electronic.

True.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've had the igniters fail. Was always able to repair in one of two ways --

  1. Wire from push button to spark gap came loose. Push wire back on.

  1. Crude built up around the spark gap. Clean out the bottom of the grill.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

Can't the igniters be replaced for about five bucks??

Reply to
James

Yep. I've got a weber LP platinum series grill - the igniter lasted 4 years, and I grill ALOT.

A visit to

order a new igniter - it was in my mailbox 2 days later.

< $10 with shipping.

To the OP: That amount of $$ will get you a very nice grill. If you can try to determine what sort of features the recipient likes to have; there are so many options for these grills nowadays. I'm just saying that cause it would be a shame to buy a grill with an accesory that never gets used, vs. using that money toward an upgraded cooking surface, etc.

Also, I highly recc. Weber.

There are almost no nightmares worse than having to assemble a grill - Webers are pre assembled, or, in the worst case, are designed to be assembled very quickly. They put alot of thought into the design and operation of their product, and it's very solid.

Reply to
Matt

One other thing I just discovered about my grill, although this is the first year it has done this:

When you go to light it, don't turn on the gas with the lid closed.

First, open the lid, then turn on the gas, and then press the igniter.

For 2005, there are 3 additional steps.

  1. Open lid
  2. Turn on gas
  3. Hit Igniter.
  4. Watch 50 hornets begin to rise from inside the grill.
  5. MAKE SURE THE GRILL IS LIT, SLAM TH E LID CLOSED AND THEN
  6. RUN LIKE HELL
Reply to
Matt

For about $4 you can get a butane lighter with an piezo-electric spark at the end of a 12" tube. The nice thing about this is you can use it to shock-the-shit out of somebody you don't like.

Reply to
HeyBub

I just wondered about all the hype/worry about whether to get a grill with that "Option" ( a five dollar ignitor), and just how long that part would last.............. ( five dollar replacement).

Worry more about the cost of gasoline..........

--James--

Reply to
James

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:Gw7fe.17473$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

No. It's only electric,which also relates to electrons. It generates an electric current. Electronic relates to active components.(the key is "controlled" conduction,that's the "active" part) Piezo effect is only a electrical/mechanical characteristic,not any active components.It uses NO vacuum,gas,or semiconducting material,either.

Reply to
Jim Yanik