electronic ballast for F15T8?

OK, I've been home sick since last Saturday and starting to go stir crazy... silly ideas running through my head

I have an old Dazor draftman's lamp that I use for a desk light. I have some high-CRI tubes in it and find it fantastic, except for one thing... that damned buzz from the old magnetic ballasts.

Is there an electronic ballast that I could retrofit into the lamp to make it nice and quiet and efficient? Dazor doesn't sell one, I already asked, they still make 'em with magnetic ballasts.

yes, I am pretty attached to this lamp. It's darn near perfect save for the buzz. I'm even considering spending the money to buy a diffuser for it to make it even more perfect because it not only looks cool and "vintage" it is the best desk/task light I've ever had and has that wonderful floating adjustment. (funny thing is, other than the metallic brown color, which was apparently discontinued long ago, it appears identical to the current "Recognition Desk Lamp" which sells for the low low price of $300-something)

There's a couple clamp mount ones floating around my office. I've already told my warehouse guy if any of them head to the dumpster I want a heads up ASAP.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Our local hardware stores sell replacement electronic ballasts, so as soon as you are well, I would head to town and see what's available.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Perhaps poke around on Grainger.com or one of the ballast manufacturers to see what's available? There is a pretty good chance there is something suitable available to drive the lamp, packaging may be an issue if it has to fit a non-standard space.

Reply to
Pete C.

Buy any set with the same wattage tube, and use its innards to upgrade yours.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I can't remember seeing any other kind of fixture using a 15W fluorescent, save for cheap kitchen under-cabinet fixtures which also use mag ballasts (and use starters, for that matter.) anyone know of any others?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Home Depot is selling under-cabinet fixtures that are advertized as buzz free. I bought 2 and they don't make a sound. I assume they have electronic ballasts.

Reply to
Red

hmm. good to know. might have to have a look. 1 or 2 tubes?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Fascina zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I guess none of those silly ideas included the word "Google", again.

Stand by, Einstein.

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

1 skinny one. I said quiet, not bright. Although the light is adequate and the fixture is narrow. I was thinking you might swap the ballast to your light.
Reply to
Red

right, I was tracking you. was asking to just see how many tubes the ballast would drive. I think the lamp has two individual ballasts and two tubes. so I'd need two of your fixtures from which to scavenge ballasts, and hopefully they'd be small and of a size that would fit in the base.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

replying to Nate Nagel, Ted wrote: I know this is an old post but I've recently rewired two old Dazor desk lamps. A model 1000 and a model 2002. I found them both on the street and they both didn't work. I didn't want to spend much money on them and found an inexpensive two pack of electronic ballasts that were the same physical dimensions of the original magnetic ballasts. The cost for the 2 pack was $16 on Amazon. Look for the Fulham SC-120-113. You will need to trim the plastic mounting tabs off to make them fit and rewire the original switch. The lights work great and with some rubbing compound and wax, they look amazing.

Reply to
Ted