Electrical Sub Panel

Page 2 of 2

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 12:39:16 -0600, Mark Lloyd

There is only one secondary winding so it is single phase. The center tap does not change that.
On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:07:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes, there is one winding. That doesn't keep the reference point (for measuring voltages) from being in the middle (center tap), and different phases being measurable depending on which end of that winding you measure at.
The center tap is actually in the center, meaning the voltage will be the same which ever end you measure. What is different if not phase? If nothing was different, you could put a wire between those points (the ends of the winding) and have no current flow (so your 240V appliances couldn't be working).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On 30 Jan 2007 01:52:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net wrote:

When I meet up with a person who wants put in a sub, I quickly ask why?
There might be better solutions. Now since you said you want more circuits, has a service calc been done?
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com
Step one: For just 4 circuits, you'd be better off just home running all 4 back to the main panel. Lots less hassle and discussion. If you're out of room on the main panel, then put the sub panel right next to the main and see step one.
--
Steve Barker