electrical safety devices?

After reading some of the posts here, I'm wondering if these protective devices exist?

(1) open-neutral detector in the main panel -- to detect open neutral before the main panel for two-phase panel and should cut off the two hots immediately when this condition is detected.

(2) ground current monitor/alarm -- the ground wires are normally not supposed to carry any current. So why not put an amp meter on the ground wire in the main panel and sound an alarm if a current is detected? You would need to separate the ground bar from the neutral bar and connect them with an amp meter.

Reply to
peter

They would probably not be cost effective. Yes, these conditions do happen, but how often? I've never had it happen, nor have any of my friends and relatives that I'm aware of. Given that history I'd not invest in either of those if it cost more that $10. Any device that breaks the main lines will cost far more than $10.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

(2) is pretty much what a GFCI does.

Reply to
CJT

Yes, indeed. There are whole-house GFCIs if you want them.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Theres a slippery slope sometimes adding too many safety devices causes hazards of its own:(

Reply to
hallerb

Both of these systems are in common usage in larger electrical systems. The cost of these is generally considered unwarranted in residential installations.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician