Electric Heaters Not 100% Efficient?

Page 2 of 3

Actually 1 Watt = 3.414 BTU ___per Hour___
So if you run a 1 Watt heater for one hour it will consume 1 Watt hour of energy and deliver 3.414 BTU of heat.
Or in more useful number
if you run a 1 kW heater for 1 hour it will consume 1 kW Hour of energy and cost about $0.15 and deliver 3414 BTU of heat.
Mark
Yes, good point. Since Energy= Power x Time and the BTU is an energy unit, time has to be included someplace.
It could also be written as 1 watt of power used for 1 hour or 1 watt-hour 3.414 BTU
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖

10 x 15 shop which serves as the basement for a family room extension off the rear of the house. The shop has 3 exterior concrete block walls (all above ground due to the slope of the lot) which are 2 x 4 studded, insulated, and drywalled. The ceiling (2 x 8 joists) is also insulated to dampen the sound and to try to keep the family room floor a little warmer.
The room never gets all that cold since it is part of the basement and there is some air circulation from the main part of the basement, especially if I leave the door open.
The small fan based electric heater that I've been using for years does a more than adequate job of heating the space. Depending on how long I'm in the shop and how active I am, I am often able to lower or even turn off the heater after a while.
I was thinking that if I ran the oil filled heater on low it would not only keep the room warm all of the time but might also help with the floor in the family room. Even if there is no operating cost difference between the fan based heater and oiled filled heater, I'd prefer the silence and no moving parts of the oil over the fan.

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 07:20:01 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Oil filled is radiant/convection,conduction. Fan type is forced air, so different heating patterns - but the same amount of heat. The fan forced heats more air - the oil filled heats air more (warmer close to the heater - but does not distribute the heat as well/far)
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 10:24:47 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

He's GOT 8 inches of insulation under the family room floor, apparently.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 29, 1:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thank you...and yes there is carpet on the floor also.
Add pictures here
✖

Heat output is the same. If you open a door and let some heat out, the oil filled MAY recover heat in the room faster than an "open coil" type heater, and the temperature will be more even - less "on-off" effect

IIn a closed room there is NO DIFFERENCE in actual operating cost .
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/29/2011 1:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The oil filled heater may also take longer to recover heat loss if it had been cycled off for a little while. They can be good if you set them properly, most are adjustable 500/1000/1500 watts in addition to the thermostat. So depending on the outside temps, you want to adjust the wattage so the unit cycles less often. If done right it's hard to tell by feeling it if it is on or off and it gives a nice steady heat. Put it on 1500 watts when it's not very cold and it will cycle from very hot to lukewarm and not be a "comfortable" heater.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:29:20 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

When electric energy is converted to to heat it goes thru a resistive type of wire. While the electricity is being converted to heat, much of the energy is lost as heat, thus you're wasting much of the electricity in the form of heat.
Add pictures here
✖

There's a third type of heater that would end up using the least electricity, but it would require an initial investment.
Since the 1950s, there have been tubular "lamps" available called quartz infrared heaters. They emit both heat and a substantial amount of light. Compared to other types of electric heaters, they emit shorter wavelengths of infrared. Those shorter wavelengths heats things (people and objects), not air. In your workshop you would need to have them on only when you are there and want heat. The heat is instantaneous. It feels like sunshine.
I have two quartz infrared heaters in my garage - each 1500 watts. When it's cold and I'm there working on the car or bagging trash, it's warm. I just switch them on and off as needed. The light is a bonus.
Such heaters are widely used for snow melting, paint drying and cooking.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 30, 8:07 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

What a genius....
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/30/2011 8:07 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

LOL. Heat is what you want! And it's 100%, not "much".
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/28/2011 12:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://recomparison.com/comparisons/101103/electric-heater-vs-ceramic-heaters-vs-oil-filled-radiant-heaters /
Typical marketing department nonsense.
This line "During the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy a great deal of it is lost. " is total nonsense.
Where exactly is the energy lost except maybe a very, very tiny fraction as heat in the wiring and connections? (and in this case not a factor since the objective is to heat the room)
Add pictures here
✖
George wrote:

I've heard, that if you look closely, you'll find some very fine powder or dust in the vicinity of some electric heaters. This is the loss in energy inasmuch as the energy has been converted to matter. Of course it takes an enormous amount of energy to create even the smallest amount of matter (and vice-versa), so don't expect to see piles of the pills. But every electric heater I've ever had will show dust around it after sitting in one place for the winter season.
Perhaps that's what the "loss of energy" people are talking about.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:30:59 PM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:

And perhaps the electrical field produced attracted the dust?
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/30/2011 4:30 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I can't tell if you are joking or not? Gawd I hope it was a joke!
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Miklos wrote:

My apologies. I try to be ambiguous on almost every post - it gets people either thinking or outraged. Even in the latter case, my view is that adrenaline is good for you. I should have said that up front.
Sorry.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/30/2011 7:21 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I thought it was really funny (as is).
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/2/2011 11:19 AM, bud-- wrote:

I sure am glad it was a joke!
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/30/2011 8:21 PM, HeyBub wrote:

So your new justification for your bizarre posts to screw with people for personal entertainment is that you are "helping"?
Add pictures here
✖
George wrote:

No, it's not for my personal pleasure. Read the post again (above). It's for purely altruistic motives.
I just want to leave the world a better place.
In that regard, I'm designing a line of hand painted, ceramic nose puppets: George Washington, Bucky the Beaver, Eiffel Tower, and so on. You push one up a nostril and go about in style.
Add pictures here
✖